Windows 98 themes

Milos M.

• 3 months later...

It does Work,and its nice too

I Have installed Windows 98 onto Virtual Machine,then i have copied from its Program Files folder Plus! to Program Files into My XP Program Files,

And just runned theme.exe choosed a theme , and Voila ...

Windows 98 themes onto Windows XP,and even Vista !

Yeah, I have fun with looking back that way. I do the same, being copying the Plus! Themes folder and the Lose Your Marbles game to XP, and now Vista.

It was really something to see my Original Desktop Theme that I use to make before changing anything in 98. Just about all the stuff looks like an original 98 install, but in Vista! I also copy the Windows/Media and the Web/Wallpaper folder over, as well as the few Plus!98 cartoon screensavers that work in XP and Vista. All those folders include all the stuff from XP, Windows Me, and 98.

The Underwater screensaver can work, but not with those files. I got the Kid's Plus! Demo package and I just extract the 2 Underwater files and the 2 Wildlife files to the System32 folder. Then I can activate the Wildlife screensaver and bam! There's that silly old Underwater screensaver.

When applying the themes, you can just run them like any Vista theme. You don't need to apply Windows Classic first as Vista will do that automatically.

I don't run them for long, as they are kind of boring compared to new stuff like Aero Glass. But its fun to look back.

It's just as interesting to apply the Redmond themes on KDE in Linux. I get that Beryl transparency and effects with a Windows 98 look. Weird. Kind of like WindowBlinds on 98, but without the resource drag.

Milos M., you mean you run the 9x Themes.exe in Vista?!? That thing works? Heck, I never even copy that over because I've thought it was useless. I've always applied the older themes with XP's and Vista's normal Theme drop downs. All but a couple of them worked fine this way.

Edited by Eck

• 2 months later...
Milos M., you mean you run the 9x Themes.exe in Vista?!? That thing works? Heck, I never even copy that over because I've thought it was useless. I've always applied the older themes with XP's and Vista's normal Theme drop downs. All but a couple of them worked fine this way.

It does work but its not nice as on XP