few question about WAIK

I have few question about WAIK.

I want to use it to Windows Vista.

1) I have installed WAIK. what is the next step I should do? Can anybody give me a detail instruction for building deploying service?

2) How do I create WIM file?

3) I have Win RIS. Do I have to uninstall Win RIS in order to deploy with WAIK?

Regard

BBMak

Hi!

First of all; Read and search the forum, it will provide u with the most of ur questions.....

Question #1: To big to get started on it, read the *.chm files and the forum and off u go!

Question #2: To get .wim files in place, capture, create, read, mount, unmount and so on, u use the imagex.exe tool provided from the WAIK install. Again, it is in the *.chm files

Question #3: WAIK contains the WDS installation, WDS is a upgrade to the RIS installation which enables PXE deployments of Vista based images and not flat images as in RIS.

after I installed the WDS, I cannot use PXE anymore. I don't know why. I saw my RIS OS in the legacy images folder; but when I tried to run PXE in my clients, I have error with PXE file not found.

my WDS server mode is mixed

MY RIS is working before I upgrade to WDS.

Edited by bbmak

Once u have installed WDS, the installation will use a diffrent set of boot files, in the relative path of remoteinstall\boot\<architechture>\

However, these are not in place until u have added a boot image using either wdsutil or the mmc... so go ahead and add a boot image, the boot files, pxeboot.com or pxeboot.n12 will then occur and u can boot either 32 or 64 bit enabled machines off the WDS box....

So ur WDS is prolly just fine, it just needs a little love....

Hi!

Just to sort things out:

U can have legacy WDS images (wim images that contain sysprep:ed pre Windows Vista operating systems) within ur WDS configuration. Those would be called <Install> images...

If u r running ur WDS server in mixed mode, then the WDS will be able to serve legacy RIS images as well... in other words, u can run ur old RIS images from the new WDS machine as long as it is in mixed mode. Then again, u gonna need to add a boot image (only works with WinPE 2.0 and forward) to get machines to boot of the WDS server properly...

Hope this helps u out...

Thank you very much, I have successfully tested the deployment. It works very well.

I have 2 more questions:

1. If I want to do the installation unattendedly, WAIK is the tool that I need?

2. How do I rip the image(wim) of a linux client, how do I do it? Are there any detail procedure?

1.yes, you will need the WAIK to make the unattended files for your images.

2. good luck, i am not sure there is any documentation on doing this, my only thoughts would be building the Linux machine to the stage you want it at and the booting with winpe or bartpe and capturing the image with imagex