Outlook 2003 - cannot find .pst file

robbied69

Hi,

I am having a problem with accessing my pst file when I am using my laptop away from the network.

Currently, the pst file has been relocated to a folder in My Documents, which in turn is being saved to directly to a network share for backup purposes. This works fine when my machine is attached to the network. However, when I take it off I get an error message saying: "The file \\$share\users work\a user\my documents\outlook\personal folders.pst could not be found" and Outlook will not open.

Is there anyway to resolve this without having to move to the local machine.

Thanks for any help.

Outlook and Exchange work together like a charm. When used in an Exchange environment there's so much more that you can do, like share your calendar with colleagues, or allow others to look in your inbox and let them send mail on your behalf. Good choice.

When you have an Exchange server the Outlook clients can choose to leave the mail on the server or download it to a .PST and optionally delete it on the server.

If you download it to a .PST file on the local hardisk there's not much else you have to configure. If users simply view mail by loggin onto their mailbox on the server, the emails are always left on the server. You have the option to create an .OST file (Offline folder) which is automatically synchronized with the server when you log off or close outlook.

If you have the users download their mail to a .PST file on the local harddisk and then delete the mails from the server to save diskspace on the server you might want to think about how the users can backup their .PST files in case of a crash or theft.

Good luck & fun with your purchase.