When you first visit Windows Update...

LeveL

When you first visit Windows Update, the website says:

Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website…

Then if you don't have "the latest version of Windows updating software" you have to install it.

Is there any way to integrate this "software" (whatever "software" it might be) into the setup so when

you visit the Windows Update website, it does not have to go through the installation of that software?

Does anyone even know what that software is or how it could be integrated?

Ideally I just wanna visit the site and press the "Express" or "Custom" button

straight away, like you can after you have installed that software on

the first visit.

From another forum:

The website uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your computer is

running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control is digitally signed by Microsoft

before installing it or allowing it to run.

So then, it is going to be some sort of OCX or AX file? The above statement only says

it uses ActiveX to "determine" which version of the software your computer is running.

Since there arn't that many of those in system32 I will have a look and try to solve it...

... no - you can remove every OCX and AX file from system32 and the Update website is still

working as per normal, hmmm...

I think I worked it out according to this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319585/

It says to delete the ActiveX controls look for files named iuctl.dll and Iuengine.dll which

I guess are the right files, sheesh, lets see then...

... OK since there is no such file as iuctl.dll on the system, it is down to just "iuengine.dll"

and indeed - if you remove that dll, Windows Update goes through the process again of

asking you to install the software needed - so all thats needed then is to put this file

"iuengine.dll" in $OEM$\$$\system32\ and it will already be updated when you visit

Windows Update. The file "iuengine.dll" does not need to be registered and works

as is, although I have yet to see if just dumping it in $OEM$\$$\system32 works...

Edited by LeveL