How to do HP activation for xp?

ziddey

A few years ago, my friend's hp laptop had a hard drive failue, and the hp recovery discs weren't available to me. So I figured since the computer came with a xp pro license anyway, there wouldn't be any ethical issues loading on a corp version I had. It was a valid 640 pid, so I figured it wouldn't ever run into issues. Then wga kicked in and I'm getting complaints from a bunch of people who I've installed clean versions of windows (where they haven't had the recovery discs so I used mine).

I also own a dell personally and see how it can skip activation upon checking bios or other dcom flags. I'm imagining that hp is the same way. However, hp wants way too much $$ for a copy of the disc, with out of warranty yada yada. I was wondering if anyone had these files for the hp installs so I could create a xp disc and redo everything more along the lines of the "right" way? Wgaworkarounds are a solution but they're pretty embarrassing to have to deal with it every so often on clients' computers.

Thanks for any solutions!!

A few years ago, my friend's hp laptop had a hard drive failue, and the hp recovery discs weren't available to me. So I figured since the computer came with a xp pro license anyway, there wouldn't be any ethical issues loading on a corp version I had. It was a valid 640 pid, so I figured it wouldn't ever run into issues. Then wga kicked in and I'm getting complaints from a bunch of people who I've installed clean versions of windows (where they haven't had the recovery discs so I used mine).

I also own a dell personally and see how it can skip activation upon checking bios or other dcom flags. I'm imagining that hp is the same way. However, hp wants way too much $$ for a copy of the disc, with out of warranty yada yada. I was wondering if anyone had these files for the hp installs so I could create a xp disc and redo everything more along the lines of the "right" way? Wgaworkarounds are a solution but they're pretty embarrassing to have to deal with it every so often on clients' computers.

I've written instuctions for Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation and setup an OEMBIOS Repository. You will need to compress the files with makecab and find a SLP Key.

Excellent!!!!! That was exactly what I was looking for. But also a side question. This would probably be asking too much, but any way to transfer wpa files and possibly avoid a reformat? I figure I might as well but just checking

wpa files medthod doesn't since SP1 of Windows XP ...

HP, Dell and others OEM use pre-activation with bios.

If you use a regular cd you must use the key on the sticker and you need to call Microsoft to activate if online activation doesn't work ...

I've written instuctions for Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation and setup an OEMBIOS Repository. You will need to compress the files with makecab and find a SLP Key.

Thanks for that, I'm going to work with it and try to create a few discs in preparation since I don't have the client systems available to me at the moment and don't want to risk not having something that works. I notice a lot of them have strikeout over them. What's that mean? For example, I have a hp laptop to go back and fix the mess I made when I used a vlk install last time (when hdd crashed and original recovery disc were not available). It's from the banias centrino era, if that's of any help. Thanks!

Preactivation trumps saving the WPA.DBL which doesn't work half the time anyways.

The strikeout OEMBIOS files are ones that you don't want because there is another that supersedes it. They are listed to indicate that they are not wanted for submission.