Changing IE7 menu text "Windows Update".

In IE6 i used the following .reg file to change the menu text "Windows Update" to "Microsoft Update". Can this be done in IE7?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"Windows Update Menu Text"="Microsoft Update"

In IE6 i used the following .reg file to change the menu text "Windows Update" to "Microsoft Update". Can this be done in IE7?

If you have IE7 and install Microsoft Update it changes the name for you in the Tools Menu.

If you have IE7 and install Microsoft Update it changes the name for you in the Tools Menu.
No, it doesn't, at least not in my case. I have IE7 and Microsoft Update and--like BoardBabe--IE7 is still displaying "Windows Update" in Tools. Hmmm . . .

Edit: for those interested, you might want to check out the program HERE. Looks like it's designed to revamp the look and feel of your browser.

Edited by blinkdt

No, it doesn't, at least not in my case. I have IE7 and Microsoft Update and--like BoardBabe--IE7 is still displaying "Windows Update" in Tools. Hmmm . . .

Edit: for those interested, you might want to check out the program HERE. Looks like it's designed to revamp the look and feel of your browser.

It should but even if it doesn't you can control it with this registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

That key is created when you install Microsoft Update. If that is not working for you you got something that has messed up IE7. I would run hijackthis and clean up any thing 3rd party with your browser.

Edited by snooz

Thanks for that, snooz. I wonder if install order has anything to do with it? I'm pretty sure I installed IE7 after MSUpdate on the machine I'm at now, but I normally install IE7 and then MSUpdate during a normal install routine. Let me look at some other machines around here and see what's up.

Edit: Nope, no luck there. Just installed MSUpdate over a fresh install that included IE7, and I still get "Windows Update" in Tools. I use an IEAK package to install IE7 but do not have restrictions set . . . that's the only thing I can think of at the moment that might be affecting the MSUpdate install's ability to make standard changes to the Menu.

Edited by blinkdt

Well, I tried it on a clean XP machine, installed IE7, then changed the reg key (didn't install Microsoft Update) and it didn't change the text as you describe. I installed Microsoft Update, and it did not change the text. In IE7, if I run regmon while starting it, it doesn't appear to even be reading this reg value - it's either not configured to change at all in IE7, or it's located somewhere else in the registry. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it :huh:.

What this reg key changes in IE7 is the menu text "Windows Update" under Tools in the old style "Menu line" (File Edit View etc...), but it will not change at the new button style Tools menu. :unsure:

Thanks for that, snooz. I wonder if install order has anything to do with it? I'm pretty sure I installed IE7 after MSUpdate on the machine I'm at now, but I normally install IE7 and then MSUpdate during a normal install routine. Let me look at some other machines around here and see what's up.

Edit: Nope, no luck there. Just installed MSUpdate over a fresh install that included IE7, and I still get "Windows Update" in Tools. I use an IEAK package to install IE7 but do not have restrictions set . . . that's the only thing I can think of at the moment that might be affecting the MSUpdate install's ability to make standard changes to the Menu.

Hmmm can you try and install IE7 install that is not IEAK just to see. Is this a corporate environment are any GPO's in place?

I can play around with IEAK tomorrow and see if it messes mine up.

Well, I tried it on a clean XP machine, installed IE7, then changed the reg key (didn't install Microsoft Update) and it didn't change the text as you describe. I installed Microsoft Update, and it did not change the text. In IE7, if I run regmon while starting it, it doesn't appear to even be reading this reg value - it's either not configured to change at all in IE7, or it's located somewhere else in the registry. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it :huh:.

Club is your install IEAK as well?

What this reg key changes in IE7 is the menu text "Windows Update" under Tools in the old style "Menu line" (File Edit View etc...), but it will not change at the new button style Tools menu. :unsure:

Thats what I thought you were looking for (change menu text). What do you mean by button style tool menu?

blink I just tested this with an IEAK package and I get exactly what you describe. When I install from the regular package the registry key works. Even with the IEAK package Windows Update still goes to Microsoft Update.

If club and babe can confirm they are using IEAK we should know the cause at least.

Thats what I thought you were looking for (change menu text). What do you mean by button style tool menu?

Sorry I were unclear. This is a screenshot from the Norwegian IE7, but I think you will see my point :)

toolsgh8.th.jpg

tools2sw5.th.jpg

Sorry I were unclear. This is a screenshot from the Norwegian IE7, but I think you will see my point :)

toolsgh8.th.jpg

tools2sw5.th.jpg

Thanks for the pic I get the same behavior. The Menu Tools shows up as Microsoft Update and the Tools Menu Windows Update.

It appears one can perform basic modifications to the new menu system at this reg key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\CommandBar

But a quick search of the IE7 development Web site reveals nothing but basics. Maybe pursue this issue directly with the Dev team at MS? I'm outta here. :whistle: