Windows Technologies and Hotfixes order

Ascii2

I understand that it is recommended that Windows updates be installed in order of release.

I do not understand when Windows technologies (like Windows Media Player, DirectX, Internet Explorer, and .NET Framework) should be installed in relation to the Windows Hot fixes.

Also, when should the updates for the technologies be installed relative to the technologies and Windows updates?

Clarification appreciated.

For me, I install all latest Microsoft technologies in first then I install hotfixes.

For Microsoft technologies, I don't think there is special order but I use this order :

.NET FrameWork 1.1SP1 , 2.0 / DirectX / WMP11 / IE7

For Hotfixes, you can install those in any order because all post-sp2 hotfixe has mechanism

to keep latest version of file on the system.

In fact I install IE7 after hotfixes because it do many things.

For Hotfixes, you can install those in any order because all post-sp2 hotfixe has mechanism

to keep latest version of file on the system.

I am planning on installing Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 and Winodws 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4. I do do plan to use Service Pack 1 for Windows XP.

Does the file version mechanism exist for pre-XP SP2 hotfixes? Does the mechanism also apply to Windows 2000 hotfixes?

From what I have read, qchain.exe will keep correct version of files when applying updates to Windows.

It does not seem to apply to integration of updates into an installation source.

May qchain.exe be applied to an installation source so that slipstreaming updates is done correctly?