[REQUEST] Change Display Fonts - Add to Tweaks section?

zedox

I've added my own font binarys to my reg tweak, but they dont implement until a reboot,

Which was very similar to a problem many users encountered with visual effects.

Beings as nlite found a way to implement custom visual effects and get them working on first boot.

Could maybe an option be added to choose system display fonts?

This would be a great tweak imo!

:thumbup

You have your own fonts, and integrated them with setup, and then have a reg tweak that sets them as the defaults, correct? But they dont apply until after rebooting.

If that is the case, it sounds like you are applying the reg tweak at RunOnceEx (after first boot)

Your best bet would be to make a second tweak file specifically for these fonts, and have cmdlines.txt call "regedit /s fonts.reg". Make sure you put the correct path to the fonts.reg file

If that doesnt work, try adding that same line to your runonceex.cmd file without the reg add stuff in front of it, and that should do it.

The same reg tweak file containing my custom fonts is ran at CMDLINES.TXT and RunOnce and from a batch script in the Startup folder.

The fonts don't apply until I have restarted the machine after first boot up.

This problem also occured when I applied my own visual display settings in the same manner, seeings as nlite has resolved this I thought would be a good idea to maybe have nlite let you choose what fonts you'd like to use...

I guess another way I could do it is by manually adding it to the HIVE inf files that are loaded in BlueText setup...

Yea! I came across hacking the msstyles file a couple of days ago.

I know alot of people have come across fonts not being applied on first boot.

I'm not sure if it can be done at all with .inf .reg or .cmd files as when a user logs in for the first time it applies the system's theme for the first time, and its within actuall .dll's and msstyle files that the font is chosen from.

I think the only way people can accomplish changing the fonts for first boot is by hacking these files.

Would be fantastic if nuhi was prepared to implement this feature!

Yea! I came across hacking the msstyles file a couple of days ago.

I know alot of people have come across fonts not being applied on first boot.

I'm not sure if it can be done at all with .inf .reg or .cmd files as when a user logs in for the first time it applies the system's theme for the first time, and its within actuall .dll's and msstyle files that the font is chosen from.

I think the only way people can accomplish changing the fonts for first boot is by hacking these files.

Would be fantastic if nuhi was prepared to implement this feature!

Actually if you put a cmd file that has the right commands to register the font as default into

$OEM$\$1\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

then it will load it from the All Users Startup which gets run _after_ the desktop loads, and therefore afer the themes are applied.

How do you regsiter fonts as defaults?

Edit,

O I see what you mean, yea that method does work, however...

You have to reboot before the fonts you specify come into effect.

The whole point of this post is to point out ways that will apply personal fonts unattended, and so they're applied on first boot.

Edited by antonio_king

How do you regsiter fonts as defaults?

Edit,

O I see what you mean, yea that method does work, however...

You have to reboot before the fonts you specify come into effect.

The whole point of this post is to point out ways that will apply personal fonts unattended, and so they're applied on first boot.

hmm.. that is a problem.. the only way then is to modify the msstyle or theme file, as even with a tweak in nlite to apply the default fonts, once the theme is applied, they will be overwritten.

the only way then is to modify the msstyle or theme file, as even with a tweak in nlite to apply the default fonts, once the theme is applied, they will be overwritten.

I agree, this is the only way.

Maybe nlite could modify the luna.msstyles file and the themeui.dll file ...

the themeui.dll file specifies the default fonts for Classic Windows Theme.

TBH, I don't think nuhi will take this on as it looks fairly time consuming to implement it, and I know he's been saying time is becoming precious.

Would be really really nice though ;):hello:

I must be missing something - I use a Tiger OS-X theme in my unattended XP installation. The Lucida Grande fonts required by the theme are copied over and registered using the tool mentioned above, and nLite automatically sets the default theme to Tiger.

My installation installs without a hitch and boots into the correct theme (and fonts) on first boot.

Cheers,

James

x

The .msstyles file that came with your Tiger OS-X theme will tell Windows what fonts to use. This will be loaded on first boot.

The default theme that comes with Windows tells Windows to use fonts like Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, etc...

To have the fonts you want load up on first boot you would have to edit the msstyles file in Resource Hacker (or alike) and change all references of fonts to the ones you want.