Media Center Edition Unattended

Well, I have a dream...

I really loved the Media Center Edition from Microsoft, so I decided to make an Unattended version of it. I got my source, with nLite I made a copy of it on my hard drive. But here I stopped, because I didn't have a list of the updates it misses. So do you know a solution, how to get them? Also I would like to include extras like MP11 or IE7, Messenger Live etc. Can I put these into the install? And where can I find them?

Bigger problem of mine is that I don't want the whole system really. I saw these mini editions around the WEB like miniXP or tinyXP and I wonder if there is a program for removing system parts, from the installation. I tried XPlite but it just removes the features of the current installed operation system right? So how can I remove parts from these files on my hard drive? Especially from the Media Center Edition... If I manage to solve these problems I have just one more.

I would like to use this OS on different machines with different resources. So I'd like a boot menu or something to load when the disk is in, and I can choose multiple types like Low, or Very High, and depending the choice the system is installed with features I previously configured. How can I do that? I know this all sounds a bit too much for a beginner like me, but just look at my first sentence... Hope I will manage to do these. So can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Hey,

I have copied the files from my MCE disk to HDD and done some editing. I have passed the Intermediate stage and so far so good.

I have slipstreamed a couple of hotfixes, I can get you the Codes if you wish?

MCE 2002 comes with SP2, so no worries about that. MCE needs to be placed on a DVD, which is easy to do, but you will need a DVD-R drive.

As for IE7 and WMP11, I'm sure you could install them as applications. I havn't tried as I currently don't use WMP and for browsing I use Firefox. MSN Messenger can be put on an Unattended DVD, so I'm sure Live Messenger could also.

You can use "nLite" to do many things in the Unattended DVD, including removing components, this can be used to get rid of the things you dont want. "nLite" can be found here.. http://www.nliteos.com/

Im not sure about the last bit however, but you should look at this page.. http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/63/

From what I can see, the Second screen shot would do just what you're looking for.

Please someone let me know if im wrong on anything here!

Regards,

Johnny.

Thx very much! I didn't notice the Components menu in nLite...

Well my only problem is the last part, becuase WPI is great, but I want to configure what components does it install in Low or Highmode... Because my problem is, that I have two computers. One is very old, it has 128 Mb of RAM. miniXP because of its lack of components installs fine. XP Pro not, because its minimum configuration is 128MB RAM, and there are some problems during install don't know why... So I'd like to remove those components that doesn't allow XP to install on that system. If anyone can help me?

Hi!

I want to do something again, but I'm pretty sure it can not be done. If I have an installation of Windows XP Pro, and it's made with a corporate key, so that activation and other may not disturb me, than can I do that to integrate that key and files that indentify my XP as an installation with a Corp key?

The main thing is that I want to install a Media Center Edition 2005, because others said it's faster and I like the looks and etc. Also I don't want to be foolin' around with how to integrate softwares that require validation. So if it's possible I would like to swap the system identification files with the files on my current installation, so that the system does not say that wrong key or something, because unfortunately you can't use corp keys on MCE, and I will be able to get WMP11 and others. It doesn't matter if I can't do update (I think after I change these files the update will se my system as an XP Pro) because I will integrate hotfixes, and that is enough for me...

If anyone knows which files I have to replace to hide my MCE and to think installers, and programs that I have an XP Pro with Corp, please tell me.

Thank you!