Disabling Fade to Grey

prx984

I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this. The reason I ask, is because I've noticed how slow my laptop is when it does this. It makes the mouse stutter, and I'm sure it would allow the theme to be changed faster.

Thanks in advance :)

I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this. The reason I ask, is because I've noticed how slow my laptop is when it does this. It makes the mouse stutter, and I'm sure it would allow the theme to be changed faster.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but try this:

Open RegEdit

Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID

Press Ctrl-F

Enter "fade task"

It will find a key with numbers and letters on the left hand side, and on the right will be: (Default)-REG_SZ_"Fade Text" (It will look like that exactly. If not, it isn't what you need, keep searching)

Delete the key with letters and numbers on left side.

Thiss kills the fading out of the screen when "Turn off computer" appears. Applied it to many computers in last 5 years, no adverse effect. Don't know about themes, never used one. :)

Works on XP and 2000. I'd write a .reg file for you, but I dont have the key on any of my computers (killed a long time ago). :) Hence the reason for this long-wound explanation.

PS: There is still some dimming going on, but much gentler to the eye.

Another thing could be your laptop's EXTREME slowness (old? bad drivers? infected?). I've seen Pentium I 200's struggling with this.

If it's not that old, things to check: graphic card drivers, AGP port driver (part of the chipset driver) (if the laptop is AGP based), antivirus/antispyware, event log.

GL

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but try this:

Open RegEdit

Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID

Press Ctrl-F

Enter "fade task"

It will find a key with numbers and letters on the left hand side, and on the right will be: (Default)-REG_SZ_"Fade Text" (It will look like that exactly. If not, it isn't what you need, keep searching)

Delete the key with letters and numbers on left side.

Thiss kills the fading out of the screen when "Turn off computer" appears. Applied it to many computers in last 5 years, no adverse effect. Don't know about themes, never used one. :)

Works on XP and 2000. I'd write a .reg file for you, but I dont have the key on any of my computers (killed a long time ago). :) Hence the reason for this long-wound explanation.

PS: There is still some dimming going on, but much gentler to the eye.

Another thing could be your laptop's EXTREME slowness (old? bad drivers? infected?). I've seen Pentium I 200's struggling with this.

If it's not that old, things to check: graphic card drivers, AGP port driver (part of the chipset driver) (if the laptop is AGP based), antivirus/antispyware, event log.

GL

Thanks for the reply.

I found the registry key, deleted it, rebooted, no difference :blink:

I know this is an old laptop, and the video card isn't an AGP card. There's no spyware or anything, I know for a fact it's a performance issue lol

I just want to disable the whole change to grey background and just make it so it leaves it all color. This will prevent the mouse cursor stuttering around the screen. It's not much of an issue, it's just something I'd like to have fixed.

Thanks again.