Driver Integration Compression

Guest OptimusBob

Guest OptimusBob

So far, I have been testing nLite for a week using many different scenarios. Many thanks to the contributors! :thumbup I like that you can integrate drivers via nLite, but I have a problem with how compressed they are on the CD and hard drive (after installation). I integrate Driver Packs, which are compressed with 7Zip. Basically, I am looking for them to be compressed smaller, possibly with 7Zip, on the CD. Since I am not an expert, is it possible to roll them into the Drivers.cab? Once they are written to the hard driver, if they are not integrated into Drivers.cab, can they be compressed? Either compress the files in the form currently used on the CD (i.e. driver.sy_) or at least compress them using NTFS file compression. Obviously, not everyone might want this, so an option would be nice.

So far, I have been testing nLite for a week using many different scenarios. Many thanks to the contributors! :thumbup I like that you can integrate drivers via nLite, but I have a problem with how compressed they are on the CD and hard drive (after installation). I integrate Driver Packs, which are compressed with 7Zip. Basically, I am looking for them to be compressed smaller, possibly with 7Zip, on the CD. Since I am not an expert, is it possible to roll them into the Drivers.cab? Once they are written to the hard driver, if they are not integrated into Drivers.cab, can they be compressed? Either compress the files in the form currently used on the CD (i.e. driver.sy_) or at least compress them using NTFS file compression. Obviously, not everyone might want this, so an option would be nice.

If the drivers are uncompressed in i386, you should be able to just use makecab to compress them, since windows looks for compressed versions when it can't find an uncompressed version.

Try it:

cd xp cd\i386

makecab driver.sys driver.sy_

remake iso and see what happens.