Problems changing the user folder drive

theles

Hi there.

For some time now, I've being using nLite to shrink my WinXP CDs, and ad programs and drivers. I always get what I try to do. But now, I'm having some problems.

I work for a company that manage the IT services for the state IR(I live in Brazil). And together, we establish some security policies. One of them, was to separate the system data to the user data in different drives(C: for system(that will be restored in every boot by hardware), Z: for user data)

Since it's a large volume of PCs to change, we try to use Sysprep, but, since the PCs are from different builders, and have a wide range of processors and motherboards(intel and AMD systems), the sysprep just didn't workout.

I'd suggest to use the nLite to make a CD to eliminate this problem, since I can put drivers on it, and of course, the windows will always install and the problem with the different computers would be avoided.

For my first test, I took an Corporate Win XP SP2 CD, integrate 58 critical fixes, and the following changes:

OBS: My CD is in portuguese. As some options.

-----------------------------------

[Main]

Env = 1.2.1 - 2.0.50727.42.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Target = Windows XP Professional SP:2 - 5.1.2600.2180 - Português (Brasil)

[Tasks]

Hotfixes and Update Packs

[Components]

;# Compatibilidade #

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]

clock.avi

[Options]

ProfilesDir = "Z:\Documents and Settings"

TargetPath = "WINDOWS"

temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Configurações locais\Temp

AdvTweaks

[Patches]

[services2]

[Tweaks]

[unattended]

ComputerType = Automático

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12

RestorePointLife = 30

DesktopTheme = Padrão||

AutoUDay = 5

AutoUHour = 15

ProgFilesPath = "\Arquivos de programas"

[NetAdapter1]

connname = ""

macaddress = ""

ipaddress = "192.168.0.1"

subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"

defaultgateway = ""

dnsserver1 = ""

dnsserver2 = ""

winsserver = ""

netbiossetting = "0"

ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"

ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

-------------------------------------------

Installing the CD, I'd create a partition for the system data, and create the other, for the user data, and since in the installation doesn't offer the option to format and change the letter, I've made an CAB using winrar and the nLite Add-on Maker that change the letter of the second volume(using Diskpart) and format it with NTFS, and integrated it with as a program, wich was installed in the end of the configuration as usual.

The CAB that I've did work just fine, as the installation, but, when the PC boot, some problems appear. The first that I've noticed, was that under the Start Menu, the Programs tab, is empty :

errorprogramskl6.th.jpg

The second problem is that some services didn't show up, so far I've noticed that the WMI is missing. And the ICS Firewall and some other services aren't working. And I'm having some problems installing VB based programs.

I'm pretty lost with this. Using the same CD, only lefting the ProfileDir with %systemdrive% the installation work just fine, and making the changes inside the windows(changing the registry keys) I didn't have any problems.

But, since there's many keys to change, and these CDs goes to other cities, I'm trying to prevent some problems. Is there something that I can make to prevent this? Or am I making something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Theles

Edited by theles

Hi again.

Since I've got no answer, and I simply couldn't make it work out, the only thing that I could do was step over the problem.

I'd already create a add-on program to format and assign the correct letter for the second volume, I'd use this same add-on program to make the work for me. So, using the forever useful command line tools, I'd add: the "Docs and Settings" folder to uncompress in the Z:\, change all the necessary keys on the registry, and gave full permissions on the drive. Also, it create a local user(that the nLite couldn't create) and it add another batch script on the startup logon to install all the programs that I need to install.

If someone is interested, I'll gladly sent by mail the program that I've make.

[]'s

Theles