nlite won't see i386 folder

cup

So I hear about nlite, think "this is great. Would work wonders for next reinstall on lappy" (WinXP MCE2k5, factory-installed on HP dv6105. Have only 'recovery discs' {shudders}, with all of HP's 'features.)

So, I copy the contents of both discs (all 10GB worth :shock:) and fire up nlite. Browse to the folder that I copied the discs to. nlite tells me "make sure that the folder contains an i386 folder and Windows installation files." Won't go any farther. Thing is, there is an i386 folder there. I can see it. I can open it. :?

Any ideas? Something I'm doing wrong? Or, can I not nlite a recovery-disc set? (oh, how I would like to get that 10GB recovery partition back, though; but without 'restoring' all the crap.)

TIA for help,

-Cup

You will need a little bit more than the i386 folder

coppy the files: WIN51, WIN51IP, WIN51IP.SP2 from you're xp sp2 cd

Maybe you have't got all files... than just coppy what you do have on you're xp sp cd.

These file contain some info about the i386 folder.

Oh you might want to see the instruction movies that are found in this post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63596 That all you're homework for now :P

Edited by Ut\Collector

Um, beg pardon, but at the risk of sounding like an a**:

I didn't copy just the i386 folder. I copied the whole fracking DVD.

Are you saying that I should copy those files from my XP Pro disc? Or, maybe from my MCE2k5 (OEM) discs? 'Cause, the HP recovery disc does have: WIN51, WIN51IA, WIN51IA.SP1, and WIN51IC, all in the root of the recovery disc.

And, begging pardon again, but that thread refers to add-ons, not starting the nLite-ing. :?

Not sure why your WIN51 list differs from what I have here. This is MCE2k5 RU2, which, by definition, is XP SP2....

Edited by cup

Um, beg pardon, but at the risk of sounding like an a**:

I didn't copy just the i386 folder. I copied the whole fracking DVD.

Are you saying that I should copy those files from my XP Pro disc? Or, maybe from my MCE2k5 (OEM) discs? 'Cause, the HP recovery disc does have: WIN51, WIN51IA, WIN51IA.SP1, and WIN51IC, all in the root of the recovery disc.

And, begging pardon again, but that thread refers to add-ons, not starting the nLite-ing. :?

Not sure why your WIN51 list differs from what I have here. This is MCE2k5 RU2, which, by definition, is XP SP2....

Well yes find and coppy those files that have file names that start with win51.

My list of win51 files is a bit different because i have no mce2k5 on my xp sp2. Ur cd being a Dell recovery cd probably makes win51 names a bit different to.

Still confused. Copy them from what? My recovery disc? If so, already done - when I copied the whole disc to a folder on my HDD. Those files are there, in the root folder.

If not from that disc, from my XP Pro disc, or from my MCE2k5 disc?.

Or, is there somewhere other than the root folder that I should copy them to?

Still confused. Copy them from what? My recovery disc? If so, already done - when I copied the whole disc to a folder on my HDD. Those files are there, in the root folder.

If not from that disc, from my XP Pro disc, or from my MCE2k5 disc?.

Or, is there somewhere other than the root folder that I should copy them to?

If you did copy everything from you're xp cd you should be fine. I don't no that much about HP recovery cd. Just use the search option on this forum and search for recovery and hp. Should find you more info.