deleting a graphic line from a page

rcook

I have a horizontal line on my document -- it is unbroken, as if it was made with the drawing tools in the program. It is possible that it was created when I entered a short string of dash characters by themselves on a line, after which Word "corrected" them to this line.

I can't get rid of the line. I've tried various things:

putting my cursor in various positions behind it and using backspace

putting my cursor in various positions in front of it and using delete.

selecting various portions of text and cutting the text (including most of the document,

with multiple paragraphs on both sides of the line)

I've turned on "display all characters" mode to see if that shed any light on the nature of the line.

I'm also hampered by the fact that searching for "delete line" with any search engine gives me many, many things that aren't related -- I don't know the special name for this particular type of line.

Can someone please at least speculate about how to get rid of the line?

rc

There's a screen shot -- I'll post the whole GD document if that'll help someone.

New info: Word has now started inserting the line every time I press Enter. I tried moving the cursor to the paragraph below and pressing enter, which did not insert this line. I then entered my paragraph; when I pressed enter the next time, the line came back.

I'm about ready to retype the whole blinking 5-page mathematical mess, cursing this bug every step of the way. I'd still like to know how it comes about, however, in case it shows up again and I don't have time to retype the entire document...

rc

Thanks, it was a good thought. However, the styles on the paragraphs are all "Normal", and there is no border set for the Normal style.

This morning I cannot duplicate the automatic insertion of this line on new paragraphs. I have seen Word fail to repaint portions of a screen correctly in other situations before; perhaps it was repainting the line when it didn't really exist in the text and only looked like it was duplicating it.

The original line really is there, however, and I still don't know how to get rid of it. I retyped the document -- thank heavens it was only 4-5 pages -- and turned off all automatic insertion junque I could find.

If anyone has more ideas, I'm still interested.

rc