Is there a way to lock drive letters into place

Marztabator

I'd like it setup so that if you create a 9x/XP dual-boot system, 9x doesn't automatically change the drive letters for my FAT32 partitions (when it gives the NTFS partitions a miss).

Is there a way in which I can force my partitions to use the same letters on both OSes?

Hmmm. They both seem rather complicated to me. :) Is there generally a way to enforce drive letters as such without having to completely rebuild my entire partition setup? I use two hard drives, both 40Gb each. FDISK required me to build primary partitions on both.

FDISK required me to build primary partitions on both.

Are you sure? I'm almost positive I have used it to create a single extended partition on a second drive once. Just choose "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive" and then "Create Extended DOS Partition". The way that DOS (and Win9x) works is they label primary partitions first, then secondary, then removable disks. As far as I know there is no way to change this, other than having only one primary partition and then making the rest of them extended partitions. If you can't get FDISK to do it for some reason, you might try a third party program like Partition Magic or the one Thanatos mentioned.

Windows 9x is still going to skip over any NTFS partitions and label the next FAT32 it finds, so you might want to put all of those at the end of your drive. Even if you do that it's going to change the drive letters on any CD-ROM or removeable disks it finds. The only sure way I can think of would be to have no NTFS partitions, but you wouldn't want to do that I don't think.