Monitor flickers during windows startup

cumminbk

Alright i recently bought a brand new monitor Westinghouse 22" LCD and i love it. But ever since i plugged it in when i boot up windows the monitor almost seems to shut off and turn on like 3 times during the xp boot process. I believe it does it twice between the bios screen and the xp load screen and then 1 time between the xp load screen to the windows welcome screen. It pops up and says the screen resolution needs to be changed when it does its reboot thing for the 2nd time. I currently have the resolution set at 1680X1050 the native resolution but it boots up at something much lower than that during the boot process 800x600 maybe? Is this something i have to live with since windows change my monitor to the proper resolution until xp loads?

Unfortunately, not every LCD manufacturer handles resolution changes the same way. I have a good feeling that it's simply the way that your monitor deals with resolution changes. Using a DVI connector will help the problem, turning off "stretching", if possible, may also help.

LCD monitors have a fixed resolution. When a lower resolution then the native resolution of the monitor is displayed, two things can happen depending on the settings of the monitor.

"Stretching off" -> The image will appear in the center of the monitor taking up the exact number of pixels as the resolution displayed. (A 800x600 resolution on a 1600x1200 monitor would take up exactly half the screen with a big black border on all sides.)

"Stretching on" -> The image will fill the entire monitor and it will use aliasing to fill up the missing pixels.

Here's an example with my monitor of the difference:

post-27580-1165444573_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately I have a similar problem to cumminbk. Recently purchased a HP w2007 monitor, and I have it hooked to GeForce 6200 controller. When I boot, the monitor (or the video card?) acts as if I booted twice. The monitor comes up and displays my desktop, which begins to load. Then, it goes black and comes back and reloads my desktop. It's as if I had two monitors hooked up. Any help?