Linux Server ?

aKaFrEE

ok...i know that a bunch of you guys are running your own servers and i just loaded mandrake linux 8.1 and i dont know how to set up an ftp server...i was just wondering if sumone could lead me in the right direction....thanks in advance

While I'm not to familiar with Mandrake (I'm a Debian, RedHat, or Linux from scratch person myself) I believe it includes wu-ftpd by default. It's enabled in xinetd, which SHOULD be in /etc/xinetd.d

If wu-ftpd isnt installed, just install it with: rpm -Uvh /path/to/wu-ftpd*.rpm

Then make sure xinetd is running, which it should be by default.

I'm not sure if Mandrakes package has anonymous access enabled by default, it should. Where it puts the anonymous files I'm not too sure, but it's likely in /var/ftp

Whew, that was difficult going so long without bad mouthing Mandrake. :)

Post more info or a specific problem and I can help out more specifically

thanks for the help...im new to the linux scene and i heard mandrake was easy to use so i figured ide give it a try....it comes with PROftpd 1.2.2 enabled by default...i got that working and went to edit the config file and change the port used to login and it stopped working...i reset everything back to default and still no luck...i might disable it and try installing the one you were talkin about if i cant fix this....thanks for the help....

i got it to boot up...now i just have to configure the users...i tried to login with the same name/pass i did before but it wont let me....

o btw...i couldnt get them to work so i reloaded the servers...now time to go config

this is up for anyone who knows....how do you setup what accounts are used with the ProFTPD server...i found the list of users but i cant log in with the passwords that i know go with the account....