WindowsUpdate method not working

chon_

I have to manually reboot the PC to get this method to work, it doesn't start the 'extras' setup before the firt reboot, is this the expected behavior or iam i doing something wrong?

my cmdlines.cmd:

REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\Setup.reg

part of my setup.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\zz110]
"1"="C:\\Install\\Copy.cmd"
@="Copiando los archivos necesarios para la instalación"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\zz150]
"1"="C:\\Install\\DirectX9\\dxsetup.exe /opk"
@="DirectX 9.0b"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\zz160]
"1"="C:\\Install\\WMP9\\MPlayer9.exe /Q:A /R:N"
@="Media Player 9"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\zz170]
"1"="C:\\Install\\MovieMaker\\mm20.msi /QN"
@="Movie Maker 2"

really try this it will work better and is easier I had isues also for some reason the reg file would not apply.

try this.

http://board.MSFN.org/index.php?showtopic=8632

this is for installing stuff durring cmdlines.txt but also works durring guirunonce.

I use both ways to install apps adn windows updates and stuff.

If you have any questions let me know.

when are you applying the reg file? it should be in your cmdlines.txt batch file, and just in case anyone is interested, you can install most programs before guirunonce using a simple batch file, YOU DONT NEED to use the inf method, allthough some would have us believe that is the only way of doing it

Does that make me three? No RunOnce, RunOnceEx, GuiRunOnce, .inf file generation, pre-installatiion file copy, "install" folder for me. Minimalist.

Different strokes for different folks - otherwise we could just have a How-To guide, instead of an idea sharing forum. Keep it cool ...

tell me again why it is the best? i am not sure, apart from looking the same and doing nothing extra, and ummmmmmmm taking 10 times longer to write, i dont see any benefit from using it, it is just some people have said it is the best way because it is their way, and the only reason people use it is because they are led to believe it is better and can do all sorts of wonderfull things it cant...

tell me again why it is the best? i am not sure, apart from looking the same and doing nothing extra, and ummmmmmmm taking 10 times longer to write, i dont see any benefit from using it, it is just some people have said it is the best way because it is their way, and the only reason people use it is because they are led to believe it is better and can do all sorts of wonderfull things it cant...

and um like it can do everything yours can do the syntax is a little different is all. Some find it easier and a few dont so be it. Besides I have provided scripts for everybody there is nothing to rewrite other than what apps they want installed just the same as you method.

I use the batch file way to install hotfixes....seems webmedic's way does not work for me :rolleyes: ...installs but no IE OE or networking of any kind....and 50 min idle at 13 min left is alittle much :/ when the batch way installs everything in 55 min total :)

FYI this is just me not that I say anyway is better then the other and as anyone comes out with updates on ways to install hotfixes and stuff I will try them also.

Would like to take this time to thank all you people for the great info I have got from this site.

Tbone2

well the hotfixes being slipstreamed is different than the inf thing and can be done seperately. You could even install the hotfixes with an inf file if you so chose.

As for the long time it only seems to lag like tahat under virtual pc on real hardware it installs rather fast. like about 5 or 6 minutes is all. thats on a xp2500 with 512 megs ram but please do remember under virtual pc it's like running a 1gig or so at the most since it shares resources with your runing os.

One more thing if you like i could whip up an inf to install hotfixes also it would be rather easy.