Can MCE2005 be clipped?

Hi Guys & other Gals,

I have a Dell E310 PC that came with MCE 2005 installed, but it has NO TV card, it has integrated audio and video, only a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, (hence, I can't burn DVDs!). It will NOT be used for any other Media Center stuff as I have remove/gotten rid of the dancing girl, and all the Sonic pgms. I plan to install Nero pgm for burning CDs.

I only surf the web, email, download P2P music, and do word processing, plus the occassional spread sheet, etc.

I have noticed that MCE2005 takes up almost twice the HDD space as a regular install of Win XP Pro SP2.

My system as it stands now has installed in addition to MCE2005:

1.) Update Rollup 2 (900325), which add/remove Pgms says is removable;

2.) KB908250, is an Update Rollup that resolves issues with Update Rollup 2 900325, which add/remove Pgms says can NOT be removed;

3.) KB908246, which add/remove Pgms says is removable;

I have read the info on 900325 & 908250 and they contain nothing that I believe I need on my system.

I question the one item in 900325 that states "Media Center now includes a configurable optimization option to make sure that your Media Center computer continues to run smoothly." Since this is rather ambiguous, and I don't know where or how to set the "configurable optimization", I feel I really don't need 900325.

My questions:

1.) Should I remove 900325 and if I do will it have any negative impact on my system?

2.) If I remove 900325, I just have to leave 908250 on my system?

3.) Does anyone know what 908246 does? MS site states it is not available! Shud I just remove it and again if I do will it have any negative impact on my system?

Thanks for you help in this!

Sincerely,

CP

If you don't plan to use MCE, then remove all MCE updates and hotfixes. KB900325 is Update Rollup 2, which is a MCE update only. Your system will then be the same as XP Pro. Just make sure you keep up to date with the regular XP updates.