Is it possible for batch file to disable devices?

tgossen

Hello Again!

Is it possible for a batch file to disable a device. For instance. I have an external hard drive that I keep my back up documents on. The problem with it is that the hard drive does not have an off/on switch so it is always connected. I want to disable it when not in use and I do not feel like unplugging it everytime I do not use it.

Thanks,

T

I have an external hard drive that I keep my back up documents on.

I wouldn't suggest relying solely on an external harddrive for means of backup. Especially if you're trying to unsafely turn it on and off like you're intending to.

The problem with it is that the hard drive does not have an off/on switch so it is always connected. I want to disable it when not in use and I do not feel like unplugging it everytime I do not use it.

There should be a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your system tray that will allow you to, obviously, safely turn it off. The next time you reboot your PC, it should appear again.

• 1 year later...
You could try mountvol or devcon, but neither will actually power down the device.

Hello, I find this observation very important. I am trying to disable a bluetooth device from a laptop, so the battery lasts longer and because my girlfriend does not like waves. ;-) Do you mean, that if I disable it, the device will still have power, but just not send bluetooth messages properly???

Hello, I find this observation very important. I am trying to disable a bluetooth device from a laptop, so the battery lasts longer and because my girlfriend does not like waves. ;-) Do you mean, that if I disable it, the device will still have power, but just not send bluetooth messages properly???

This whole topic focuses on temporarily powering down a device. What you would like to do is disable it. Disabling a device via Device Manager will stop the device from working until re-enabled, so it your case your bluetooth device will not use any power when disabled.