Windows Installer Problems - Office 2007

taj

I am using Office 2007 - the problem I have is that whenever any Office application e.g. Word, is run, Windows Installer will also run as well as the Office Setup, saying 'Preparing to Install...', 'Configuring Office 2007' etc. This does not happen on Administrator accounts, only on limited user accounts.

I made sure when I installed Office 2007 that Run All from My Computer was selected, and I have tried a fresh install, a repair install, and run the Office Diagnostics which found no problems.

I have tried upgrading a limited user to administrator, and Office apps ran fine without Windows Installer running, but when the user is demoted to a limited user again, the problem re-appears.

I have also tried to allow Windows Installer to always install with elevated privileges in Group Policy [XP Pro SP2], however this does not change anything.

In Event Viewer, the following errors coincide with when Windows Installer / Office problems occur:

Detection of product '{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}', feature 'WORDFiles' failed during request for component '{0638C49D-BB8B-4CD1-B191-051E8F325736}'

Detection of product '{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}', feature 'ProductFiles', component '{6252B847-BADA-43D4-9252-E39767FA40A1}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pip\' does not exist.

Searching the net only gave solutions for previous versions of Office.

I would be grateful if someone could provide a solution / recommendation to resolve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like it's behaving exactly as Office 2000 does (our current workhorse). After elevating your user to Admin level, did you supply the installation disc at the same time?

In my own experience with Office 2000, you will get the same "Installing..." routine when running as a new limited user for the first time. And it fails for two reasons: No permissions and no disc. I always have to elevate my users AND insert the installer Disc before attempting to run the program.

To hear of this really just irks me to no end. I was hoping that after all these years, Office would have been updated to not do this annoying "Installing..." act when it should just say, "You must be an Admin and have the original install disc to continue." Well, that, or it should just work!

I'll try that... thanks.

EDIT : Didn't work... supplied install CD and elevated priveleges. When I demoted the privileges again the problems reappeared.

Edited by taj

• 3 months later...

It's likely your Windows Installer registry entries have become corrupt. I've had this problem with installs of Paintshop Pro and Dragon Naturally Speaking - the installer would launch as soon as I opened the application; cancelling the faux install usually let me use the program normally.

Try running the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from Microsoft. Beware of the warning in the Readme, however:

Continuing further will make permanent changes to your system. You may

need to reinstall some or all applications on your system that used the

Windows Installer technology to be installed.