Virtual Printer to limit black level?

Zxian

This one might take a bit of explaining.

My student society has a printer available for students to use, and we supply the toner. It's great for the students, if they've forgotten to print out an assignment, or an article, or something like that.

The only problem is that we've also got labs where we take images that are mostly black with a few white dots. We've asked students to not print these out here, but they do anyways, and a $70 toner cartridge lasts all of a month.

So what I'm looking for is some type of "intermediate printer" that the document gets sent to. This virtual printer would then check the black levels of the entire document, and if they are too high, the print is cancelled. If they're below some limit, then the print is continued to the real printer.

I've already checked the "Toner Save mode" on the printer, but it doesn't really help when the whole page is black with a couple of white dots.

The system that the printer is connected to can be running Windows XP or Linux of some form. Any leads, any at all would be much appreciated. :)

Toner refills for the model we have are still $45 or so. I haven't been able to find a seller of the kits so I can do it myself, but that's the price of a refilled cartridge.

Still more expensive than not letting it happen in the first place. ;)