Strange behaviour when coming back after screensaver

thundernetbr

Hi there,

I am having this strange behaviour with my XP SP2. When it returns from screensaver, at the logon ('Welcome' screen), I have all the accounts listed, but cannot log to any of them, even the Administrator one. What happens is that I use my password (or any password related to each account - I have full rights on every account I created) and the 'Welcome' screen keeps showing - and no logging at all occurs -, like I was using a wrong password. I have to restart the computer. :angry:

But it doesn't happens all the time, so I have no idea what is going on. :no:

By the way, my XP SP2 is original :thumbup , and it still occurs even after the updates MS released today.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you all.

--ThundernetBR

I forgot to tell also that I use Spybot S&D and AVG 7.5 every day, both of them updated daily.

Edited by thundernetbr

Very interesting - if you connect to it remotely via RDP, can you log into it from another machine via an RDP connection?

cluberti,

I didn't test this yet. But it's more likely that some reg entry is doing the trick. :huh:

Besides, I'm not a big fan of RDP...

--ThundernetBR

Not knowing exactly what else is running on your PC, my first response would be, "Stop Using Screen Savers".

It's been my experience that many screen savers (not from MS) are poorly written and can cause all sorts of problems with the OS. Also they have to run in the background, thus taking up CPU time and RAM space and can conflict with other programs running on your PC.

In general I try to discourage the use of screen savers by my own customers and I won't even have one on my own PC. Those .scr files are some of the first ones to GO when I set up Windows.

I hope you find a workable solution to your problem.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Those .scr files are some of the first ones to GO when I set up Windows.

Andromeda43,

I am not using any 3d-party screen saver, only the ones that come with XP.

But I'm glad to say to you all that my problem is gone by now. :thumbup Something IE6-related was messing the things, because after I upgraded to IE7 3 days ago, the problem disappeared completely ! :yes:

Thank you all for your help !

--ThundernetBR

Actually, if upgrading to IE7 resolved it, you had an issue with shell components. I say this because IE7 removes itself from the shell almost entirely (almost, but not completely), and does upgrade the shell components to make sure they work with the new IE7 binaries. Since IE6 used actual shell component .dlls when running, the upgrading of the shell binaries is likely the resolution. But glad to hear you've got it working :).