ClearType Tuning

bkraptor

Yes, ClearType was enabled even before starting this topic, I did disable it and enabled it the way you described. I tried changing the various reg options you posted and rebooted in between, with no visible effect on text.

<edit>

Posted the above message right after you posted your latest message.

I did a search for "ClearType_Tuning_Control_Panel_Applet", but it returned no results. Can you provide a link? I tried the online tool from Microsoft but it does nothing, using both IE7 and FireFox 2.

Edited by bkraptor

OK, try here: http://icee.wordpress.com/2006/10/14/cleartype-tuning-tool/

BTW...I now have the proper registry settings worked out for enabling clear type on CRT monitors. OK, heres the low down on clear type for Vista;

ClearType for Vista (at this time) is already in Vista and all you need to do is enable it, however, it doesn't expose any adjustments for CRT monitors in the GUI, just the ability to enable it. So the settings you get with ClearType in Vista depends on what type of device you have, with CRT monitors you really only get one settings and that has to be set in the registry (but these may be expanded upon to include other settings). If you have a LCD screen you get a few more settings adjustable in the registry (I think at this time - can't tell right now because my laptop crapped out on me or i'd check for ya). Anyway i'm going to post the only setting you get for CRT monitors and how to enable ClearType in the Vista Tweaks and Tips section in a little bit, keep watching.

(I thought I was on the track with the registry entries I posted earlier in this thread but I was wrong - see the reg tweak in the Tips and tweaks section a little later and you will see the difference)

Yes, ClearType was enabled even before starting this topic, I did disable it and enabled it the way you described. I tried changing the various reg options you posted and rebooted in between, with no visible effect on text.

<edit>

Posted the above message right after you posted your latest message.

I did a search for "ClearType_Tuning_Control_Panel_Applet", but it returned no results. Can you provide a link? I tried the online tool from Microsoft but it does nothing, using both IE7 and FireFox 2.

Edited by Spooky

Well, I guess I will not be posting the reg tweak after all. Ya know that laptop I mentioned that died on me? Guess where the tweaks for the ClearType registry settings were...yep, you guessed it, on the laptop. I shipped the darn thing off today for repair/replacement. I thought sure i had transfered those things to the server at home. Sorry...i'll post them as soon as I can. But in the mean time, part of what I remember is this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000898

These already exist at that registry location and determine if ClearType is on or off with the FontSmoothingType dword (2 = On, 1 = off). "FontSmoothingGamma" determines how light or dark the font is. Range 1000 - 2200 - 1000 is the darkest. There are a few others that appear if you have an LCD screen, i just can't remember them right now.

I forgot to mention, I have a 19" TFT (LCD) with a Samsung 2ms panel.

A weird thing happened today.

I never actually tried to reboot in between the setting of the ClearType Tuning Control Panel Applet. So while I was experimenting with rebooting, I noticed it taking effect, then I noticed it also had an effect even without rebooting. I set it to the lightest contrast level, and now all my display problems are gone.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad you got it sorted out. I also posted the reg tweak for ClearType in the Vista Tips and Tweaks section earlier today.

A weird thing happened today.

I never actually tried to reboot in between the setting of the ClearType Tuning Control Panel Applet. So while I was experimenting with rebooting, I noticed it taking effect, then I noticed it also had an effect even without rebooting. I set it to the lightest contrast level, and now all my display problems are gone.

Thanks for all the help.