Partitions for installing/restoring XP

Marsha

Hi Folks,

I want to start creating our XP installs with separate partitions for Windows (c:) and Program Files (d:).

I know how to do this, but it doesn't really accomplish what I want. I would like to be able to restore at any time the XP install with a new one without affecting my installed programs. Of course this doesn't work since there are many registry entries, dll's, etc. that reside in the Windows folder.

Anyway got a good idea, pointer or description how I can set things up to be able to do complete new installs of XP without having to reinstall dozens of applications afterwards. Or some alternative that accomplishes something similar?

Thanks for your help. My searches haven't given me much help.

-marsha

Appologies, but I'm having a hard time following just what it is you're trying to do and WHY.

If you're worried about NOT being able to restore your computer in case of problems in Windows, the answer is very simple.

Use any commercially available program like Ghost or Acronis to make an exact image file off of your C: drive and save it to another drive or a DVD/CD's.

Then if there's a problem requiring a re-write of C:, just run either of those programs from a boot disk and do a restore of the Backup Image file and in a few minutes you're back in business again.

Personally, I use Ghost 2003, run from a boot floppy or CD and I save my backup image files to a second hard drive for aquickie backup or to a DVD for a permanent record. Either a backup or a restore only takes me five minutes with Ghost. It's a piece of cake! :thumbup

Cheers,

Andromeda43 B)

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, it is clear you don't understand what I'm trying to do and why, but that's ok.

I have done the very simple solutions for years - yes I have various versions of Ghost, and my current favorite is Windows Image from TeraByte Unlimited - a very good program for imaging.

Image backups just don't do what I want when I'd rather perform a new install of XP with all the proper drivers/hotfixes/etc. yet leave my current suite of installed applications intact. Hence the reason to have them in different partitions, but the registry entries get in the way of that working, of course.

I was hoping someone had figured out a way to separate the install of XP from the install of Applications, with some appropriate register backup/reinstall methods.

Possibly not :huh:

You can user installrite or regshot to get the reg key written when installing an application but you'll may still need to reinstall applications in some cases because some applications store files in your windows directory or drive even when you don't want it.

have you ever considered running portable applications?

here you have a good definition of the concept and nice list of portable apps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portable_software

have a look at this site:

http://portableapps.com/

and this one as well

http://www.portablefreeware.com

initially designed to run from a flash pendrive, portable applications can also run from your hard drive. if you have them stored in a partition different from where your OS is, you will be able to reinstall windows and not loosing any application/setting. most of these portable apps are modified normal programs and will store their settings in the folder they reside.

the links above will only point to freeware applications, a google search will point you to programs like photoshop, nero and many many others!

i currently use a combination of unattended windows intallation, imaging software and portable apps. rebuilding my system takes less than 10 minutes... (after of course a one off long and tedious initial configuration of the OS and the very few not portable applications)

give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

trailboy

Edited by trailboy