BDD SMS 2003 OSD FP and winPE to connect to the Admindb

p4ntb0y

I am a bit confused which is not hard.

I have SMS 2003 installed and configured.

I have the BDD 2.5 Enterprise installed also.

I have made a wim image by creating a new sysprep build with build.hta in the winpelad.iso cd

and used the sms capture wizard to capture the sysprep build back to an image share as a wim file.

I ahve also installed the admindb and created my various sql query's procedure calls.

I have run thro the sms state phase's with sms to include the additional files I need for ZTI.vbs

Now I need to create a winpe image to place on my ris server so that I can pxe boot from then do some sql querys for MAC, Name etc I then need to load my wim image and update it on fly for Drivers, Hal and Name etc. to build and join my computer to the domain.

Now for my question....

How do I create my winpe image what kicks off the wim image install within sms 2003?

I see that in the config.hta on the bdd is the following...........

Build Lab winpe

Build deploy winpe (Lite Touch Only)

Build Generic winpe.

There is also a winpe iso within the SMS but it does not include WMI.

Does anyone know how winpe from startnet.cmd calls the neccs files required to do querys depending on the custom.ini file and load the wim image?

• 1 month later...

I thought I would write my success here as I always get really anoyed when people say I fix it! and never say how.

Anyways you have to create your winpe iso in the Bdd config.hta and then copy this over to your SMS MP and then update the SMS Winpe using the one created in bdd as the source this will enable you to have WMI,SQL and Scripting support.

This is a very good solution for us as we Have 12000 or so different desktops. I no longer need to worry I have even catered for Laptops and servers, makes me laugh I save the company 70k in lic's

Looking forward to the BDD 2007 and SMS V4 (SMS V4 can do deltas within the WIM image)