Reverse "disable file association web-service"?

Marthax

Hi Everyone!

Since I executed this regedit

; disable file association web-service - Bypassing "Browse web for program" to open unknown extension. "Open With..." becomes default

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001

I'm getting a "open with" window on every single video I'm trying to open and this isn't exactly what I had in mind. It would sure be useful if the file wouldn't have a associated program installed, but that's not the case here since I've checked it out and WMP should popup automatically as it's registered as the default player for avi's etc.

I've tried removing it by simply removing the whole thing with a "-" infront of it, but that didn't change a thing.

Does anyone know how to reverse this?

Thanks in advance!

Marthax

Edited by Marthax

Hm..not sure I'm following. Where do I check this?

EDIT: For some reason, the problem disappeared when I installed WMP 10. Well, obviously WMP tampered with the registry in order to register it's settings, but I'd sure like to find out what it was that caused my problem in the first place. Anyone?

Edited by Marthax

Hm..not sure I'm following. Where do I check this?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi

Now look at the default value in the right pane (usually 'avifile') and find

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\avifile (or whatever it was named)

Ensure shell\open\command's default value is set to the path of the program that you want to use to open it, with "%1" (this is to pass the filename to it).

When I look in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\avi all I see is four string values: (Default), Content Type, MP2.Last and PercievedType and none of them has WMP mentioned in it.

This folder also has three subfolders, OpenWithList, OpenWithProgIds and PersistentHandler, but they don't link to WMP either. Which part associates to WMP then?

When I look in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\avi all I see is four string values: (Default), Content Type, MP2.Last and PercievedType and none of them has WMP mentioned in it.

This folder also has three subfolders, OpenWithList, OpenWithProgIds and PersistentHandler, but they don't link to WMP either. Which part associates to WMP then?

You have clearly not followed my instructions.
Now look at the default value in the right pane (usually 'avifile') and find

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\avifile (or whatever it was named)

You do not understand simply because you have not read entirely my instructions.

You are to look in .avi for the default value, then look in the left for the subfolder of the name that the default value had - usually avifile.