SOLVED: PLEASE HELP! URGENT! Error during setup.

I keep getting the following msg on first boot just after blue-text setup...

Fatal Error

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Incorrect function.

Press OK to view the Setup log file.

Setup Log fire...
Error

Installation Failed: D:\I386\ams. Error message: Incorrect function.

Fatal Error.

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Incorrect function.

I have tried this with the following...

1: Original Genuine Windows XP disc ... works fine.

2: Copy that disc to hd, then cdimaged it and burnt to a new... doesn't work. But the image does install in Microsoft Virtual Machine '04...

What is going on!!!?

I have tried taking another copy of the original cd.

Edited by antonio_king

i have a similar issue on a K6 II 500mhz...machince i have.....but the problem i have is that neither 2000, XP, or 2003 will install....i have tried upgrade option as well....and that wont work either.....ME does install....but refuses to boot.....and Win 98 SE....well...works as it should.......

any ideas anyone :S

I should also add... I have tried this on 3 machines now no luck...

Another thought I had was maybe nero was doing dodgy burns... so reinstalled... still get the problem.

...And right now i'm trying virtual machine, and using it from the drive with the disc in... going to see if it works.

I should also add... I have tried this on 3 machines now no luck...

Another thought I had was maybe nero was doing dodgy burns... so reinstalled... still get the problem.

...And right now i'm trying virtual machine, and using it from the drive with the disc in... going to see if it works.

try burning it at the lowest speed possible...2x or what ever it is

ok, using the disc with virtual machine came up with the problem... but using the image with virtual machine works fine...

So narrowed it down to definatley being a disc.

Will try burning low speed and on another drive.

Cheers.

try with another cd drive. old drives are problematic sometimes. ive got similar problem couple of times before.

THAT WORKED!!!

:thumbup

Strange... havn't had any problems with that drive before, or with any discs ive burnt recently other than this one i guess.

THANKS!

try with another cd drive. old drives are problematic sometimes. ive got similar problem couple of times before.

THAT WORKED!!!

:thumbup

Strange... havn't had any problems with that drive before, or with any discs ive burnt recently other than this one i guess.

THANKS!

excellent.....im glad to hear it worked

within an hour a problem that has been bothering me for over two weeks was resolved on this very helpful forum within an HOUR!!!

Many thanks, and this topic is a great example of what a fantastic community of computer enthusiasts we are.