XP Firewall + Networking

Prof-x

Thanks to "BAH" from ntl.support.broadband.cm he told me to come here to ask about a problem i'm having with xp and filesharing. I've established that my problems lies with xp firewall being enabeled thus preventing me from sharing over a network. If i turn the firewall off everything is happy hunting.

Is there any setting in xp that lets you share files over lan through ports 137-139 without having to open these ports in the firewall. If not how can i share files with the firewall enabeled. I hate the fact of having my 137-139 opened through the firewall but i've conifurerd my wan gateway to show 137-139 as private ports thus stealthing them from a net attack i should be ok in that sense.

Any help on this xp firewall would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Welcome Prof-x

Your problem is a common one if you want to share the files turn off the XP firewall and get Zone Alarm and all will be happy, the XP firewall is pants.

Im sure many others will give there help on this.

yep ok i'll turn it off my router was doing a great job anyway never had anything to log with xp ne-way plus the firewall was a pain when opening up ports for msn messenger and web cam and my internet radio station server cuz the fkin thing dont support port ranges as far as im away.

It's already been turned off :-)