project server + sharepoint server

eyeball

Hi all,

i know some of you guys work for massive corp companies and im sure you use project server and or sharepoint.

i am familiar with sharepoint as i have used it and tested it out but what i would like to know is what is project server? and what can it do for me? and also how well does it integrate with sharepoint?

just some examples of what you guys use it for would be great, so i can get an idea about it and decide if its what my company needs

thanks a lot :thumbup

Edited by eyeball

Project server allows you to collaborate multiple projects together into 1 interface and allows other people to see the projects and timelines without opening up multiple project files. It allows you to schedule time with all the different users. Basically put.. It takes all the resource allocation and time tables from all the projects you submit to it and puts them into one big interface so you can see your resource allocation, projects and what not..

It integrates very well into sharepoint as to the fact that sharepoint is required for the installation. It takes advantage of how sharepoint pulls together information and usernames and authentication.

Basically Project Server is a Microsoft Project front end to Sharepoint.

thanks for the reply :)

it all sounds like it works together really well and i am definatly going to have to devote some time to building a small test platform. :)

also another quick question if you dont mind, can this all be run on wmsde or do i have to use sql as a back-end?

thanks again :)

It can be run on wmsde, HOWEVER, keep in mind wmsde has a 2gb database file limit. Sure it could take a while to get up there.. but in my instance.. if you are buying Project Server, you are trying to collaborate alot of documents and dont really want to be restricted. It is all gonna depend on how big you/your company is planning on getting and how extensively you plan on using it.

Take alook at Office Sharepoint 2007 also if you are looking at Sharepoint technologies, It is a high quality collaboration platform, the beta should still be floating around but MS may have taken it off their website since it RTM'd ealier this week,