[BUG in 1.2.1] DHCP Client service depends on NetBT unneccesarily

tsk

not sure if it's known bug...

When DHCP client service is set in nLite to auto (not sure if the bug is present with "default" as well - btw @nuhi: could you include in () what default means in services - i.e. default (manual) etc), then after Windows installation (XPSP2) this service doesn't start itself, and when attempted to start it manually via services.msc, I get error msg that service cannot be started because its dependencies aren't started. Culprit is NetBT (netBIOS over TCP/IP) when it's disabled in TCP/IP properties.

Solution was for me to edit registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp

value DependOnService, and remove NetBT from there (left the other two, Tcpip and Afd in place).

But this dependency on NetBT shouldn't be there in the 1st place - I always disable NetBT and 1.2.1 it was the 1st time that it affected DHCP Client such that it doesn't run.

Anyone else seen this bug in 1.2.1 and could confirm (or not)?

Can you folks with nLited XP install look into the above place in registry and check what you have in DependOnService (if you have NetBT listed there, in addition to Tcp and Afd)?

hope that helps.

:)

Edited by tsk

NLite just disables NetBIOS, I do not know if is a bug or a setting.

I can not start DHCP neither when NetBIOS is disabled with nLite, but I set up my IP manually, however when my IP changes, I use WWDC to enable and disable NtB.

Edited by TheTOM_SK

> NLite just disables NetBIOS, I do not know if is a bug or a setting.

DHCP Client service should work no matter if NetBT for connection is disabled or not. It's just unnecessary dependancy, and it always worked fine with normal Windows installation or when I used nLite 1.0 to make my install. This bug must have been introduced later into the app.

btw @nuhi: could you include in () what default means in services - i.e. default (manual) etc

I see it's a question for nuhi, but anyway, I don't think so. Finding out the default values is very complicated, it depends on Windows version (e.g. 2k, XP, 2003,...), service pack (SP1/2/3...), installed components (server versions) and maybe OEM mods. Due to components which can be manually set during the installation, some default states are in point of fact unpredictable. God bless nuhi he implemented the Default (literally ;) ) state for each service instead of forcing uncertainly states for all services at a time like before. If Default is selected, nLite will leave it and it will be set by Windows.

...after Windows installation (XPSP2) this service doesn't start itself, and when attempted to start it manually via services.msc, I get error msg that service cannot be started because its dependencies aren't started. Culprit is NetBT (netBIOS over TCP/IP) when it's disabled in TCP/IP properties.

I'm not sure if it can be classified as a bug, just be careful of dependencies. :D

Solution was for me to edit registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp

value DependOnService, and remove NetBT from there (left the other two, Tcpip and Afd in place).

But this dependency on NetBT shouldn't be there in the 1st place - I always disable NetBT and 1.2.1 it was the 1st time that it affected DHCP Client such that it doesn't run.

Anyone else seen this bug in 1.2.1 and could confirm (or not)?

Can you folks with nLited XP install look into the above place in registry and check what you have in DependOnService (if you have NetBT listed there, in addition to Tcp and Afd)?

Yes, Tcpip+Afd+NetBT are set as dependencies for DHCP. NetBT string removal is an interesting idea, does it really work with real network (i.e. without IP address set)? Do you have any Event Log messages/errors? Thx for the tip anyway. :P

> does it really work with real network (i.e. without IP address set)?

yes, it works fine with real network - i.e. after this correction/tweak DHCP can be started and PC acquires IP address and related settings (DNS servers IPs, network submask, gateway no problem).

But I repeat: IMO NetBT should NOT be there as a DHCP service dependency in the 1st place - it (DHCP client) is working and always worked fine with NetBT disabled, both in normal, non-modified WXP installs and in nLited ones as well.

> Do you have any Event Log messages/errors?

no idea - I don't have EL at all (remove it with nLite).

> Thx for the tip anyway

np ;)

Edited by tsk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It took an amateur like me more than 15 cycles of: nLite -> Burn customised disk -> Install Windows -> Whine, moan and tear my hair out when there was no Internet connectivity - Reformat the partition -> Restore the Volume Serial Number (to prevent a Windows Product Activation crap out) -> Rinse and Repeat, to solve this.

A little quick math on the install time, plus searching for solutions in the forums (as well as the rest of the net) adds up to a lot of wasted time. In my case several installs a day for more than a week. My doctor says the nervous tick will eventually go away!

I'm about to try applying that registry change as part of my registry tweaks set in cmdlines.txt. I'll report back with the results.

Since my local network uses NetBeui for machine to machine transfers, I'm probably a good test subject. (Configuration ala Steve Gibson's (grc.com) "Network Bondage" page -- IE Disable "NetBios over TCP/IP", Bind both "File and Printer Sharing" and "Client for Microsoft Networks" to the NetBEUI protocol, Unbind both from the TCP/IP protocol )

----

Neui - I don't know if this dependency can/will be changed by nLite automatically in future version. But the current situation is dangerous enough, that it has probably caused a large number of network connectivity problems in nLite installs. Anyone who's read Steve Gibson's "Network Bondage" page immediately assumes "NetBios over TCP/IP" is something they don't need, and don't want, and therefore disables it. If the dependency can't be changed, might it be wise to remove "NetBios over TCPIP" from the Tweaks | Services page to eliminate that mistake? Alternatively somehow show a warning about the consequences of disabling it.

---------

Edited To Add Promised Success/Failure Report

In nLite on the Tweaks | Services page, I disabled the "NetBios over TCP/IP" service (actually a Non-Plug and Play driver). During the install I used Cmdlines.txt to install a very few registry tweaks. One of those included was the above recommended:

;Disable Dependency of "DHCP Client" service on "NetBios over TCPIP" service

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp]

"DependOnService"=hex(7):54,00,63,00,70,00,69,00,70,00,00,00,41,00,66,00,64,00,00,00,00,00

This removes the dependency of the "DHCP Client" service from requiring the "NetBios over TCPIP" non-Plug and Play driver be started first. (The original Hex value was longer, with the additional text "NetBT")

As stated above, I use the NetBEUI protocol for wired local network transfers. I can confirm that these connections continued without a problem when using this registry change. I can also confirm that the machine now successfully obtains an IP address and communicates normally on the Internet. No errors appeared in the Event Log.

There may be some other, not yet discovered, dependencies requiring the "NetBios over TCP/IP" driver, but so far things look good.

Edited by chapmani