Windows Desktop Search

breadandbubbles

I have my PC partitioned. a small C: drive, and a very large D: drive. the only thing on the C: drive is Windows Pro. sp2.

I keep the C: drive frozen, so spyware or viruses or any changes at all wont take effect. I make changes to the D: drive only.

I want to use Windows Desktop Search, but it wont let me choose where to install it. So i have to install it to the C: drive. which would be alright...

except the indexing doesnt work. itll index all day, but if i restart the computer, it starts all over.

Is there any way to fix this?

does anyone know of a good desktop search that will let me choose where to install?

i want to use WDS, but if i ahve to use another, i will.

You can move the index file to drive D in the settings. The default place is in your User directory, which I assume is on your drive C. To change this, right-click the sys tray icon and choose "Windows Desktop Search" then click on "Advanced". The bottom option is to change the Index location. Just put it on your D drive and then restart the WDS service and all will be well.

Also noted above, you MUST enable Indexing on the drive properties for it to actually index anything.