W2K fatal text mode setup error?

SearchingBearCub

Starting with a fresk W2K Pro CD, I copied it to my HD, downloaded SP4, nLite 1.2.1, and the alternate .NET Framework Lite.

I installed nLite and the .NET Framework Lite, started nLite, and pointed it to the folder that I had copied the W2K to. I elected to slipstream SP4, integrate drivers, remove components, and select patches and tweaks. Since this installation was destined for a machine with no CD, DVD, or floppy drive, I skipped the ISO creation step.

When nLite finished, I copied the newly slimmed install over to a USB memory key, and then over to the Tablet PC, which is running Win98SE on a FAT32 drive.

I booted the Tablet, brought up the Win98 pre-boot menu, picked "Command prompt only", and loaded Smartdrv.

I then changed over to the W2K\I386 directory and started the setup with the WINNT command.

While still in the text mode portion of setup, the following error screen appeared:

Setup was unable to create the following directory on the target drive:

C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\i386\NLDRV\001

Check the target drive and make sure no files exist with names that coincide with the target directory. Also check cabling to the drive.

Setup cannot continue. Press ENTER to exit.

No files or folders anywhere near that name existed on the drive prior to initiating setup. It has run fine with Win98SE, so I doubt that cabling is an issue. I am forced to consider that nLite is causing a problem.

Perhaps I removed or added something that I should not have?

To assist, I have attached my LAST SESSION.INI file.

Any help would be appreciated!

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by SearchingBearCub

• 3 weeks later...

Burn it and boot from the CD and all your troubles will go away.

Until then copy i386\NLDRV into the C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386 or point it to the original folder which has NLDRV.

That winnt dos initiation is quite problematic with nlite so I don't recommend it.