System Restore, where to disable...

Governator

System Restore Service is in removals at section Services.

Hi boooggy, yep sure 'nuf it is in fact in there but I tend not to remove services as I'd rather disable them instead. I could've sworn that there was a selection within the "Unattended Mode" setup that would do this, again I could be mistaken, at least I thought there was with RC2. Thanks again for the help,

Gov

Sure, you can select Enable or Turn Off on the:

Unattended page > General tab > System Restore Service groupbox.

Hi r3incarnat0r, thanks for this. I am familiar with that section and tab but what I believe threw me off was that I had selected it (System Restore) for removal and once I got to "Unattended Mode" setup I saw that "System Restore" was greyed out but seemed enabled thus was confusing me as to what I actually did :unsure:

Thanks again for your response,

Gov

Well, while you selected it for removal, its controls were just disabled because they would be no longer used.

If you want it set to Turn Off, leave System Restore Service removal unchecked, then go to Unattended and select Turn Off, go back to Components and select it for removal, go again to Unattended and voila ... combobox is greyed out with Turn Off selected. :sneaky::D

It seems to be just a game with ObjectName.Enabled = true/false. B)

(Is this the problem or I just don't understand?)

Being that you're using nLite I know your probably a really bright person already, but I'm going to throw this out there just because I do run into this issue several times a month....

I generally recommend leaving System Restore turned on, primarily because in the event of a corrupted registry you can pull the registry snapshots from the System Volume Information directory from either the recovery console, or through a PE and then restore the registry to one from a couple of days ago. The only other option would be to use the registry from within the 'Repair' directory, which is generally the original install settings, forcing you to have to reinstall all of your applications...

If you don't mind the risk of not being able to properly recover your system from a potentially catastrophic event go ahead and disable it....

I'm not saying "You're an indiot for removing", I'm simply saying "Hey, here's another thing that's useful about it that some people just don't know about system restore"....

I generally just lower the amount of drive space it gets to 8 percent from 12.....