Using GUIRunOnce and a fully unattended install

Hello,

I am creating a fully unattended install, and when I start populating GUIRunOnce with commands (batch files to install software), it seems to stop following my .sif file. For example, if I add commands to be executed in GUIRunOnce, then after a successful XP install, it'll ask me if I would like to register with Microsoft, check for internet connectivity, and doesn't join the workstation to my domain. But, GUIRunOnce does execute my batch files.

However if I don't use GUIRunOnce, everything works great, meaning it's fully unattended and joins the domain.

Here are the contents of my sif file:

;SetupMgrTag

[Components]

chat=off

msnexplr=off

zonegames=off

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

floppyless="1"

OriSrc="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

OriTyp="4"

LocalSourceOnCD=1

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[unattended]

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

FileSystem=LeaveAlone

NtUpgrade=No

OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword=No

AdminPassword="mypassword"

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=%TIMEZONE%

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=myproductkey

FullName="User"

OrgName="Organization"

ComputerName=%MACHINENAME%

[identification]

DomainAdmin="account"

DomainAdminPassword="password"

JoinDomain = "MYDOMAIN"

; DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

ProcessPageSections=Yes

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition=Yes

UseWholeDisk=Yes

[OSChooser]

Description="Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 (Unattended)"

Help="Automatically installs Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 and base applications."

LaunchFile="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType=Flat

[GUIRunOnce]

"net use Y: \\server\reminst\scripts /user:MYDOMAIN\account password /persistent:no"

"net use Z: \\server\DFS\Software /user:MYDOMAIN\account password /persistent:no"

"Y:\prep.bat"

"Y:\windowsxp_software"

Edited by versello

When created via Setup Manager, the [OSChooser] section is always at the end of the RIS answer file. I don't know if that's mandatory or anything, but you might try moving the [GuiRunOnce] section up in the answer file. IIRC, Setup Manager places it between the [Networking] and the [RemoteInstall] section.

Keep your hair on ;) I've compated your answer file with mine, and found one major difference:

[Identification]
JoinDomain=%MACHINEDOMAIN%
DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes

AFAIK this is how Setup Manager configured it, and it's been working without problems for years. Of course, this means the account that is used to log on during the RIS text phase needs to have permissions to create computer accounts, but we have a generic installation account just for that purpose.

Funny... I've never needed that entry :blink:

That entry has created a new problem. Now my workstations no longer automatically join the domain :(

/me sighs

Back to the drawing board...

Do you think you can post your slf file, Ctrl-X?

Instead of using GUIRunOnce in RIS, I've found that using the SetupParams section to call one .cmd file (that executes all of your other commands) works much better and is more reliable in the long run. It can also be used to pass parameters from your OSChooser screens into your actual OS installation, which is very difficult to do otherwise.

For example, if I modified my OSChooser screens to allow the end user to determine which version of Office to install, which software build to install based on department, and whether or not to install certain other software, I could set those OSChooser screen variables up and then pass them to my .cmd file to act on those parameters, like so:

[setupParams]

UserExecute="%systemdrive%\temp\unattend.cmd %OFFICE% %SOFTWARE% %OTHER%"

Obviously it takes some OSChooser screen knowledge/voodoo skills to configure if you want to pass things from OSChooser into the OS install itself, but it's MUCH easier in the long run to do everything this way (even if you aren't passing parameters). Note that the SetupParams .cmd file executes at T-12.

That entry has created a new problem. Now my workstations no longer automatically join the domain :(

Hmmm :blink: Are you sure it isn't a permissions problem? Check the NetSetup.log file in the Windows\Debug folder to see what's going wrong exactly.

Do you think you can post your slf file, Ctrl-X?

Sure, but I doubt it'll be of much use to you since I don't use GuiRunOnce anymore... Switched to RunOnceEx about a year ago. But if you still want it I can post it tomorrow, when I'm at the office.