F.E.A.R. -Sound bug again...

Xithon

Hi

My problem concerns something I, personally (after lurking in these forums a few weeks) havn't seen any direct mention of or fix.

I have no problem running the game as I have a tip-top PC (just say if you want the specs) and although I've read a few topics concerning the lack of sound in F.E.A.R, my problem is perhaps a little less complicated. I have the ambient sounds and music as far as I can tell, but no speech, other than the first voice that answers the phone in the beginning- before going into what looks like some briefing room with the 2 men and a woman and the monitor displaying the vampire dude and all the blood etc.

I also get the scream from the guy in the beginning where the girl walks through the cell door.

What I've tried and done so far:

I've updated the game to version 1.08 via the '100-107 to 108' patch or whatever it's called and the game doesn't compain about a newer version found.

I've tried installing different driver versions for the files known to have caused problems for others: imaadp32.acm and msadp32.acm

I've tried running the game from a fresh install and from the patch to no avail.

The driver changes don't seem to make a difference either.

I must confess, I coundn't locate the versions of the drivers other people mentioned of: 5.0xxx. The drivers beforehand were version 5.1xxx and I could only find version 4.xxx which was apparently from Windows 95/98. The drivers I were looking for were from Win 2000. Maybe if someone had these driver versions they could upload them, just to see if it would work?

I don't have anything special (I don't think) in the way of my sound card; it's some in-built one I don't know the make of but I could probably find out in the motherboard manual if anyone wants to know.

What else can I say, other than I've never (to my knownledge) had any problems with sound before in any of my games. I bought Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter with F.E.A.R. and that works fine. This issue is really annoying to me as I've recently, in the last month, upgraded my gfx card to the best AGP on the market and that works splendidly.

Ah what the heck, here are my basic system specs

Pentium 4, 3.0Ghz HT

Gainward GeForce 7800GS 512mb AGP

2Gb Corsair and Kingston value RAM at 333Mhz

ASRock P4S61 Motherboard with 5.1 AC'97 in-built audio

It's a custom-built machine and I think that's all I know that'll be of any help. Any feedback appreciated. Cheers :D