Creating your own MSIs?

Zoom7000

How can I create my own MSI installs? Is it hard work? Is there a cost to it? I would like to install a program. It simply requires copying the program engine to a location, copying some DLL files, registering an OCX file and creating shortcuts. I have tried using a batch script and xcopy, but I get a sharing violation when trying to copy the DLLs.

So would it be possible to create my own MSI using Windows Installer? Or is there a simpler way around my issue?

Zoom7000

if you are willing to spend some money, choose Caphyon Advanced Installer from www.caphyon.com it has many features, its esasy to use, can make software patches to apply updates, it imports .reg files to deploy via installers, and many more. Thats why i use (i make administrative software in my spare time). Also it helps me make msi's for many apps that i install my unattended dvd.

• 1 month later...

As you didn't say how the XCOPY, or other deployment occurs or to what directory (and why) or what policies are in place its not possible to answer, however for a freeware tool which build MSI you could have a look at the MAKEMSI tool.

Edited by dbareis