I need a fast answer!

quickly now, lets stay sharp:

question: one machine, one user, two domains (domain1.com and mydomain.lan). user "works" within both domains, can I configure his laptop to log onto both domains? ie be able to loginto domain1 when he's doing the accounting on that domain as accountant.domain1.com, then switch if he needs to do the holiday reports for mydomain.lan as holidayguy.mydomain.lan???

is it possible without third party software or any mods, just straight up from XP on a 2003 AD environment?

as far as i know, no, it is not possable in the way you describe. if however the user only needs access to file shares on the other lan they could have a drive mapped to them that authenticates using the credentials of the other domain assuming that both domains are on the same physical lan.

quickly now, lets stay sharp:

question: one machine, one user, two domains (domain1.com and mydomain.lan). user "works" within both domains, can I configure his laptop to log onto both domains? ie be able to loginto domain1 when he's doing the accounting on that domain as accountant.domain1.com, then switch if he needs to do the holiday reports for mydomain.lan as holidayguy.mydomain.lan???

is it possible without third party software or any mods, just straight up from XP on a 2003 AD environment?

are the 2 applications domain specific (ie he has to logon to that domain to get to those documents or progams) or is it possible that his account can be trusted in both domains (is there any trust between the 2 domains?)

OK, there's no trust between the domains, and yes he would need to access documents on both domains (although only one at a time, ie he will only be work as user A on one domain and then user B on the other, never both at the same time).

Essentially its one of our directors who owns two companies, both exclusive of each other, and wants to be able to work between the two. At the moment he has one machine for each domain, and wants to cut it down if he can, preferably to a laptop he can use at work to cut between the domains, then take home to use locally and VPN to the domains.

I'm drawing a blank on this one, and suspect theres no easy way of doing it, don't really want to start dual-booting or altering the domains (adding trusts) as its just going to cause too much administrative work.

adding trusts is the only way it is going to happpen (ie so either you can create him one account or both accounts can have rights) drawing a blank on anything else you could do with this one. it is a not so win situation

just have him log in how he normally does and setup a vpn for the other domain. That username and password will pass the credentials on that domain and will have access to what you allow. Should be a little easier than creating trusts between 2 domains.

I just setup our system for a new "owner" who has been working off his other companies laptop. We setup VPN for him and it has worked well so far.

If he just need to access documents, you could just add a batch in his startup folder to map the domain2 if his computer is already member of domain1.

The batch should like this:

net use K: /d /Y
net use K: \\domain2server\share /u:domain2\user2 password2

With user2 and password2 the login/password of the user in the domain2.