Boot screen issues need help -- single and dual cores

Lost Soul

hi im trying to create a new boot screen for 2 different pcs that i have 1 being a single core (athlon xp 2400+) and the other being a dual core (pentium d cpu 2.80)

well for the single core athlon,, ove created a nice boot screen, but for the dual core thats where the problem comes in

when i go into system32 on the pc with the pentium, i cant seem to find the dual core kernal (ntkrnlmp.exe) i can only find the file (ntoskrnl.exe)

so by seeing that i assumed by the name it was using the single core kernal,, so on my unattended disk, i forced it to use the same kernal as my athlon pc did,, and that made it unbootable after first boot..

so my question is,, what should i do if i cant find the (ntkrnlmp.exe) file to edit with boot editor ?

and also another question is,, on my dual core cpu pc,, did the kernal get renamed to (ntoskrnl.exe) , ? is that why i cant seem to find the (ntkrnlmp.exe) file on that pc

any help would be very appreciated

thanks,,

Extract SP2.cab to get the file. If you don't have SP2.cab, extract the Driver.cab.

hmmm mazin i think you misunderstood me alittle,, so let me try to clairify my self more better

,, i can easily get all the kernals off the disk it self,,

my main question is,, why isnt my dual core pentium pc,, useing the right kernal, instead of ntoskrnl.exe,, shouldnt there be a ntkrnlmp.exe file in the system32 folder instead of the normal single core kernal (ntoskrnl.exe)

i know for a fact i have a dual core cpu, and thats why this puzzles me,,

========

i want to edit the right kernal for the dual core, but its not in the system32 folder and yes i could simply place the dual core kernal(ntkrnlmp.exe) in the system32 folder but if i do that how will boot editor know which kernal to edit out ?,,,,

and also does the (ntkrnlmp.exe) kernal automatically get renamed to (ntoskrnl.exe) by system default, upon instillation on a pc with dual core cpu's ?

this is kinda new to me on trying to edit dual core kernals,, ive always had single core's

Edited by Lost Soul

ok after reading the guide alittle more closly i figured it out http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/51/

but now i ran into another problem,, upon trying to edit the kernal for dual cores, i get this error that it cant verify and alter the progress bars position because its an unsupported version

any ideals on what i should do, or should i just ignore these errors and everything will be ok ?

grrr ive gotten so close on this but yet so far :no:

n/m i guess im just gonna have to go the long route and manually edit the progress bars position

,ok well it looks now like im gonna have major trouble doing this,,

does any body know the exact string for the new kernal 5.1.2600.2885 (ntkrnlmp.exe),, i need to know the palatte lines and the progress bar lines

when i try this with boot editor, it says unknown version cant verify palettes and positioning with smart.....

any body have any ideals

Edited by Lost Soul

so my question is,, what should i do if i cant find the (ntkrnlmp.exe) file to edit with boot editor ?

I'm sorry. I just thought you need to find the file.

However, I'm using Resource Hacker to edit the file. But, I can't change the position of progress bars.

I'm sorry. I just thought you need to find the file.

However, I'm using Resource Hacker to edit the file. But, I can't change the position of progress bars.

its all good thanks for helping me mazin, yeah i havnt been able to change the position of the progress bars yet myself,, grrrr ,, let me know if you find anything out before i do.. on this latest kernal 5.1.2600.2885 (ntkrnlmp.exe),

thanks again

Edited by Lost Soul