Will Not boot

EBMMJP

hi

my computer will not boot past the safe mode screen. if i select start windows normally or safe mode etc. the computer shuts off restarts and goes back to the same screen. the only new software i have intalled is mcafee spam killer and straight after this my problem occured. i do not know what to do. if this means re intalling windows does anyone know how to recover the files i will loose because there are some important irreplaceable ones. thanks in advance.

You will always be able to recover the files if the hard drive is in working condition physically and logically.

Just connect it to another machine as a secondary (slave) drive and copy anything you want from it.

Try to boot from the XP CD and go to the recovery console.

There list the services and stop the spamkiller one if it exist. If this doesn't solve your problem, check files timestamp in C:\windows\system32\drivers, then compare with other spamkiller files and if you find some with the same date, you can try to rename them one after another and try to boot between each try. You can do the same with files in system32 but this is going to be long.