Problem after October 2006 Win Update

dougiefresh

I've just installed the newest October 2006 updates from Microsoft via Windows Update, then rebooted my computer. Since then, Internet Explorer won't open a new page by clicking on a link like it did before (i.e.: on RyanVM's Web Site. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

EDIT: I should note that nothing has been changed other than what Microsoft has changed via Windows Update. This problem has creeped up both times and I thought before I did my PC Recovery that maybe it was a corrupt install. It did the same thing after the PC Recovery.

EDIT AGAIN: PC Recovery is NOT the same as System Restore! Please do not get them confused! Thank you!

Edited by dougiefresh

dougiefresh

"I've just installed the newest October 2006 updates from Microsoft via Windows Update, then rebooted my computer. Since then, Internet Explorer won't open a new page by clicking on a link like it did before (i.e.: on RyanVM's Web Site. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?"

I have the same problem; and it extends to all MS programs, ie: Outlook Express, Outlook 2003, All of the Office 2003 apps-Word 2003 etc. I did a Google search for Hyperlinks do not work and found several sites from that search, tried all of the recommendations to no avail; the KB's were all outdated, as was the advice.

The only way I was able to restore all hyperlink functions was to install IE 7 rc1 for WinXP SP2; or not install the October updates. I even did two fresh reinstalls. So, until I can figure out or find a cure IE 7 rc1 it is; also, I'm checking here: http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx

copy and paste the URL in you address bar. Also, if you right click any link, hit properties, copy and paste the URL in your address bar, IE6 will take you there-a pain in the a*s to say the least

Edited by RickSteele

Wonderful (sarcasm dripping.......)!!!!!! Just what I wanted to here (sarcasm gushing.....)!!!! Microsoft really works wonders (dam broke, sarcasm all over the place!!!!).....

Ok, on a more serious note: Thanks for the response. (no sarcasm!) Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT:

RickSteele: You do know that you can right-click on a hyper-link and select "Copy shortcut" and paste it into the address bar instead of going into Properties and doing so, right? It will save (maybe) a click or three....

Edited by dougiefresh

dougiefresh

I'm not sure I understand your reply. That URL is a good one to go to for problems etc. Being that IE 6 hyperlinks are mostly broken this was the only way I could reach anything referred to in a hyperlink; including the one I posted here.

"You do know that you can right-click on a hyper-link and select "Copy shortcut"-not copy the shortcut but copy the URL in the properties of the shortcut which for most is quite different from what is shown in the hyperlink name; this one just happens to be the same. For RyanVM's Web Site it is http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...pid=572368& to copy and paste.

Further, all my installs were RyanVM and nlited, so I'm burning a stock iso with all the hotfixes manually integrated to see what happens....tomorrow sometime.

Edited by RickSteele