RIS - server 2003

Hello All,

I am a newbie, so go easy on me.. I have a ris server running win 2003 server and have xp pro with sp2 and all the latest updates on their as an image. I have tried to push the image to a client computer and after 49% install i get lots of dll files missing. I have tried 2 images of XP Pro and made sure there is nic drivers in their respected folders.

Not having much luck at the moment

Help Please

Best Regrads

Bristles

I would try the following things, in this order - unfortunately it involves basically starting over, but bear with me:

1. Uninstall ANY antivirus software on this machine, as well as any backup software agents (like the Veritas BE client agent). Once uninstalled, restart the server completely.

2. Go into your RIS directory, and delete all images under the \image subfolder for your language.

3. Defragment the volume that contains your RIS folder.

4. Make certain the Single Instance Storage (SIS) service is running.

5. Run risetup, and create a new flat-file image.

6. Use the new RIS flat source to build your master workstation, installing all software and configuring your install of XP as necessary.

7. Use riprep to copy your image back up to the RIS server.

8. Reboot your master workstation and attempt to image the machine from the new riprep image copied up to the RIS server in step 7.

If things fail during or after these steps, let us know. If it works, let us know as well.

i've also found that you can't integrate all updates prior to creating the image, if you use roguespear's autoimage to add for example ryanvm's update packs, you need to add them to the image, not add them to a disc and make the image from that disc, in other words

create image

run autoimage

integrated packs.

I ris XP machines from windows 2003 compaq dl380.

create your ris image from your XP SP2 CD. make a backup copy of this base image. put a copy on your machine & integrate ryanVM(windows updates) & BTS driver packs using Autoimage.

Configure what you need to automate the XP install in the risdrd.sif in i386/template folder.

Copy image backup to server.

Stop & restart the Remote Installation service on the server.

of you go.

Once you have XP installing you can then use RunonceEX to install applications unattended aswell as XP.