remove xp, instal 98

baromac

Hi,

My parents, in their 70's, just purchased a new computer with Xp. Some of their existing hardware won't work, and they want win98 back on their computer. I tried installing 98 without removing the xp OS. I had no luck.

Can anyone give me a fairly detailed instruction on how I can get 98 on the computer without messing things up. I am technologically challenged.

Thanks

Sean

You need to install a program like Partician Magic 7 so that u can partician (split) ur hard drive into 2 seperate drives .....one with the windows xp installation (if u want to keep it) and the other so that u can install win 98 on. PM7 will allow u to convert the second drive into FAT32 file system so that u can install win 98.....u will need to do this from dos as xp will not allow u to install an older operating system in windows. So if ur installing from a bootable win 98 disk or from the back up disks u can then choose where u want to install win 98 (eg. D:/ drive)

:cool:

once win 98 is installed u will need to config which is ur default bootup either xp or 98

check the links section of this forum for any links to find PM7 or if any other members can give u a link :)

[b:d0b690191b]baromac[/b:d0b690191b] - First off welcome to the board and enjoy your stay. If I understood you right you want 98 back and XP gone. What you will have to do is boot up with your 98 startup disk. PC will give you 3 options ....Pick load with cd-rom support. Once your done youll see the following:

a: then type cd c: (then youll see the following) c:

then just type in format c: and your format will start on your c drive where xp is. Once your done with the format it will ask you to enter volume. Just type 0 and it will bring you back to a c: prompt. Put your 98 cd in the drive (98 disk must be full version and not the upgrade so make sure before starting any of this) now find your cd-rom drive which depending on how many drive letter you have. Normally on a basic computer the cd-rom is d or f. E when formating becomes your ram drive so dont worrie about that. anyways to switch to other drves type in [b:d0b690191b]cd d:, cd e:, cd f:[/b:d0b690191b], to test and see if you have the right drive access to your 98 disk everytime you change a directory (cd) just type in dir (directory) this will scan that drive and see whats on it. When you have gottan to the cd-rom and it shows its the 98 windows just type in setup. and your off.

I hope this wasnt to confussing, if you need more help let me know

-XPerties

Ok after I typed all that crap up I reread your title.

So you want a dual system, first off you can not install 98 after you have install XP. Well you can but it is extremely a pain in the a**. You need to do what I said above first. Format...then once 98 is up and running, just stick XP disk in and choose full instalation instead of upgrade. XP will partition and install a dual boot system having both 98 and XP on your pc.

-XPerties

I am still having problems installing 98 on a machine with xp. I tried a few different methods, one that was posted here. This computer does have the ntfs file system.

Anymore ideas xperties?

Can I delete xp and then try installing 98? I have all the recovery disks for xp.

Thanks again.

Sean

The file system is in NTFS then you need to find out who made your hard drive and get the install disk for the drive. Its a real pain to format a NTFS disk and get it back to fat and ready for 98. First find out who made the hard drive then let me know.

-XPerties

PS. I meant add to this thread not start a new one. No biggie I took care of it.

[i:ad925e648f]Originally posted by XPerties [/i:ad925e648f]

Its a real pain to format a NTFS disk and get it back to fat and ready for 98 [/quote:ad925e648f]

Is it? Win98 Boot Disk --> FDISK -> Delete NON-DOS partition --> Create new FAT32 Partition --> Set as Active Partition --> Format c: