Change IP Address

Hamins

Hi everyone,

We have a domain with one Win2003 server as the DC and around 30 XP workstations, and the same number of users. None of the user have Admin rights. All the users belong to the same OU & group. They all have roaming profiles.

Since the users don't have admin rights, they cannot change the Network Settings (IP address, Subnet, gateway, DNS etc) on their local workstatios. Out the the 30 user's I need to grant one user the right to change the Network settings on any local workstation, without granting that user any additional Admin priviledges. How do I do that, without creating a completely new group/OU, and then setting the appropriate GPO settings on that group/ou.

Edited by Hamins

Use a netsh batch script and run it by a GPO (computer config, windows parameter, startup script). The script will be run with the local system account and should have more than enough rights.

You could also create a policy on the existing OU and filter it so that just one user gets that policy applied.

How do I do that ? and would that slow things down ? I heard, creating/filtering too many policies slows and confuses things

In short:

• Create the new GPO and edit the settings as needed;
  • Select the "Scope" tab for the new GPO, remove "Authenticated Users" from the "Security Filtering" box and add the group(s) and/or user(s) you want the new GPO to apply to;
  • Link the new GPO to the desired OU, placing it above the original GPO so it has higher priority.

Refer to the article I linked to earlier for details. If you need more information, Google for "group policy security filtering" to get some more articles on the subject.

Hi Ctrl-X,

I followed the steps u mentioned above to apply GPO filtering on a particular user. However, when that user logs onto any workstation, and tries accessing the properties on a LAN connection to change the IP addres, he gets a message saying that access to the property page is restricted. I have created a new GPO with necessary settings under "User sConfiguration" , to allow access to the network settings.

Edited by Hamins