usb drivers for 98?

cyberman

Just my opinion...,

this is a place for facts, not opinions.

Opinion never fixed a computer in his life.

I've installed 98/SE OEM over 98 more times than I even want to admit to. (Sorry, Bill !)

You first copy the SE OEM disk to a folder on the HD. Only the \win98\ folder need be copied.

Then you boot up the PC with your 98 boot disk and go into the windows folder and rename win.com to win.old

.....then you navigate into the newly created \win98\ folder and run Setup.exe /ie /is

Setup will start and run normally. It only looks for win.com, not the registry.

Setup will also run much faster and smoother from the folder on the HD than from the original CD.

And, if ever 98/SE needs to install some new feature.....the files are already on the HD.

This is a hard, cold fact that MS probably doesn't want anyone to know about. (Bbviously! ) :whistle:

But I've been doing it as long as there's been copies of 98/SE OEM on the streets.

In this process, all apps, data and drivers are preserved. (Don't ask me why it works....it just does!) :thumbup

Cheers Mates!

B)

There is an interesting article, last updated 1/24/2007, about using the driver for "an older SanDisk USB device" with the newer Cruzer series to work with:

Windows 95 OSR/2.1 ("B" version with USB or later)

Windows 98 with a USB port that is already recognized by the system.

His solution was to "modify the the Plug-And-Play ID numbers to match the one being sent by the Cruzer..."

Working links are provided to download both the modified and unmodified drivers.

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

Thanks. This worked for me on my old laptop running 98. I unzipped the files to a floppy drive. After inserting the flash drive, it asked for drivers. I steered it to the floppy and it installed. This has worked with a sandisk drive and a generic 2 gig one I bought from Micro Center.

Just my opinion...,

this is a place for facts, not opinions.

Opinion never fixed a computer in his life.

I've installed 98/SE OEM over 98 more times than I even want to admit to. (Sorry, Bill !)

You first copy the SE OEM disk to a folder on the HD. Only the \win98\ folder need be copied.

Then you boot up the PC with your 98 boot disk and go into the windows folder and rename win.com to win.old

.....then you navigate into the newly created \win98\ folder and run Setup.exe /ie /is

Setup will start and run normally. It only looks for win.com, not the registry.

Setup will also run much faster and smoother from the folder on the HD than from the original CD.

And, if ever 98/SE needs to install some new feature.....the files are already on the HD.

This is a hard, cold fact that MS probably doesn't want anyone to know about. (Bbviously! ) :whistle:

But I've been doing it as long as there's been copies of 98/SE OEM on the streets.

In this process, all apps, data and drivers are preserved. (Don't ask me why it works....it just does!) :thumbup

Cheers Mates!

B)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. When I tried, I did not boot up from a boot disk, that was my problem. I used the drivers mentioned above by georg and they worked on my 98 laptop. I have saved this thread in case I need to update in the future. Thanks again.