Networking Problems

Blake1

I have two computers (1 XP Home and 1 XP MCE) both connected by a Linksys WAG54GX2 router, and have previously networked them, but I had to reinstall Windows on my XP Home machine, and I tried to re-network (is that a word?) them. I always have an error saying you do not have permission to access that. All computers are able to acsses the internet via the router, and I have enabled file and print sharing. Why is this happening? Thanks in advance.

In this type of environment, that is a workgroup environment, when you attempt to use the shared resources of another computer, either a file share or shared printer, you must supply the credentials of a user on the other computer. Also, make sure that the share permissions and if applicable, the NTFS permissions, allow that user access to the resource from a remote computer.

One other gotcha to look out for is that the credentials you connect with must have a password. I don't know if this a security feature that Microsoft intentionally put in the OS to prevent unsafe resource sharing or not, but you must have some kind of password even if it's only a single character.