Cannot delete or access folders

taltamir

I have two folders that were created when I tried to force extract a corrupt ACE archive (set to not delete defective files). Those folders cannot be opened, moved, renamed, deleted, or anything for that matter.

I can (now, i dont think i could before i started messing with it) rename the parent folders contianing them, so i isolated them in their own folder by renaming parent folders and moving any non corrupt stuff into a new folder with the old name.

1.I tried scandisk, but that didn't do anything (scandisk only ever worked for fat32... i never saw it do anything useful on NTFS...)

2.I tried del, erase, and rmdir from command prompt to no avail...

3.I tried changing the permissions from BUILIN\ADMINISTRATOR to my own admin account using subinacl, but that still didn't work...

I used the following sytex for subinacl:

subinacl /subdirectories C:\directory\*.* /setowner=machinename\Administrator

And yes I am logged in as the administrator so this is my current user.

Now from personal experience i just leave such files until the next time i format, but not this time, this time i am fighting and i am determined to kill those blasted things... so any advice is welcome...

Edited by taltamir

You could try using robocopy which is part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

Create an empty directory.

robocopy "Empty Directory" "parent directory of directories that can't be deleted" /purge /l

The /l option only shows what the command is going to do. Once you get it right remove the /l and run it again.

robocopy "Empty Directory" "parent directory of directories that can't be deleted" /purge

scandisk? not chkdsk?

If chkdsk doesn't fix it, delete it offline (WinPE).

i meant chkdsk...

what do you mean delete it offline? winPE?

Anyways, I already got rid of it by using unlocker:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

It couldn't find anything to unlock, but it was able to force delete it anyways...

Edited by taltamir