WinPE SDI Images in RAM

thuun derboy

I've just loaded an .SDI based image to Ramdisk for the 1st time. This technology is from XP Embedded.

I've been looking for the best solution to link CD folders to Ramdisk. Well, this is a solution allowing PE to function properly and write to any area of the system drive. I'm quite pleased with the result.

If this interests you, pls. read a bit here or here.

XPE SP1 tools are free to download, you what the SDI technology portion for this task.

I believe I downloaded the whole OS w/the tools, MS gives you the serial, a trial at least.

I just did this...

(1)

start SDI Loader tool and make a disk that will hold your WinPE plus 20-25%.

(example, if PE is 250MB., make a 320MB. .SDI disk.) Call it WINPE.SDI for now and mount it.

(2)

Open XP's DiskManager snapin, a wizard will pop up, choose all defaults, don't convert it to 'Dynamic'. Create 1 primary partition on the new unallocated disk, choose to quick format and compress.

(3)

Copy files to new disk, defrag if you like, and unmount it.

*Robocopy or RobocopyGUI may help avoid early 'volume full' errors and thus reduce needed disk space.

Ready to RAM Boot? You may now use the .SDI file as you would an ISO to boot from CD into RAM, just update

your WINNT.SIF:

[SetupData]
BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
BootPath = "\i386\System32\"
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdimageoffset=36352 /rdpath=WINPE.SDI"

I made an ISO w/CDIMAGE and XP boot sector, the structure is:

F:\WinPE (CD root)

_______WINNT.SIF

_______WINPE.SDI

_______I386

_______I386\NTDETECT.COM

_______I386\SETUPLDR.BIN

For booting from hard drive, empty I386 to HDD root, SETUPLDR.BIN is renamed to ntldr (or peldr for Bart's tools to update bootsec.). NTDETECT.COM is not changed, just moved...

have fun...

post-46536-1158817554_thumb.png

Edited by thuun derboy

This is exactly why I started my thread earlier -- so many people don't know this exists, but I see them fighting daily with "aftermarket" ramdisks that aren't always stable or can't be sized correctly without batch processes or other items.

SDI is freakin' awesome; the only limit is a size restriction to 512mb of physical space or less. Still, if you have a ~500mb PE image after NTFS compression then maybe it's time to pare it down a little :)

;)

To take advantage of NTFS compression in yout .SDI image...

As you're creating your .SDI disks (files), first make a 'temp' disk that holds the WinPE build, plus a few megs. Format it as compressed, primary NTFS. Copy your build to the temp disk and note it's compressed size (not size on disk). Create the final .SDI image and size it with the compressed size in mind. This allows you to put your PE into an image that's much smaller than the actual build, pretty cool.

I've placed my full blown XPE, 440MB. into a 364MB. .SDI. I have about 50MB. free on X:, even with an image size of 364MB.! The XPE (shell) system is booting in under a minute from HDD. I'm on it presently and it's so snappy it makes my want to cry with joy.

btw,

I'm leaving the extra Ramdisk in my build as it adds 64MB more free space that's not taking up room on the .SDI image, it also avoids reconfiguring %temp% variables. With the Ramdisk at B:, I have over 100MB. free within the PE system.

--------------------

after playing a bit more I'm considering all sorts of options .SDI will allow!

This eve I'd like to nliten XP or W2K and sqeeze it into an .sdi and see what happens...we'll see. :D

This is a great way to run from RAM.

&...

I'm certainly open to all suggestions. B)

post-46536-1158864267_thumb.jpg

Edited by thuun derboy