nLite sets RunOnce to delete folders and perform actions...

ZileXa

#@($*@# :realmad:

I have spend many hours figuring out why o why my "Cursors" folder got deleted...

1. I removed Cursors with nLite

2. my RunOnceEx starts at T13, one of the things it does: extract a .7z file containing Fedora cursors (so it creates a new Cursors folder), some additional themes and Vista sounds, Xpize settings etc.

After first gui boot, I see my nice Fedora cursors, after 2nd boot, they are gone.

I tested A LOT, at several moments. Now I now this:

During Windows Setup, items have been added (by txtsetup.inf or nlite.inf) to RunOnce (not RunOnceEx). I have extracted the full key, see below.

At first Gui boot, my (2nd) RunOnceEx is launched and when it finishes, it restarts the pc, it will NOT continue loading windows desktop etc. RunOnce will therefore launch at 2nd boot. It is at this moment, the cursors folder gets deleted!! GRRRR

why Nuhi? the cursors have been removed during nLite process, perhaps Windows Setup creates the Cursor folder during Setup? but whyyyyy did you choose to delete it soo late, with RunOnce?

it is the C part of NLITE.INF

[C]
HKCU,"Environment","TEMP",0x00020000,"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"
HKCU,"Environment","TMP",0x00020000,"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing","BehaviorOnFailedVerify",0x00010001,0
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_02",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%SystemRoot%\System32\dllcache"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_03",0x00020000,"cmd.exe /c md ""%SystemRoot%\System32\dllcache"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_06",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%10%\eHome"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_07",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%10%\Cursors"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_08",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%11%\Inetsrv"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_09",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%11%\Npp"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_10",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%10%\msagent"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_11",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%10%\Srchasst"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_12",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%10%\Help\Tours"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_13",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%11%\MsDtc"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_14",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 ""%11%\NtmsData"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_15",0x00020000,"cmd.exe /c md ""%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_16",0x00020000,"cmd.exe /C move /Y ""%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetub.dll"" ""%SystemRoot%\System32\syssetup.dll"""
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_17",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nlite.inf,nLiteReg"
HKU,".Default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_18",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nlite.inf,S"

BTW, here I have another VERY strange bug, I am starting to think there is a big possibility this NLITE.INF has something to do with it, I never experienced it before and been working with uA for few years now.

PS: sorry I am soo mad, not at Nuhi personally... just mad this nlite.inf and RunOnce is the cause!

Edited by ZileXa

This was already discussed and in next version it won't delete cursors folder.

Why it was like that you ask...well because many were complaining that there is too much empty folders left after the installation.

Seems that with this cursors folder it was an exception that it's needed by some.

i wonder though why ever nLite should do this, (anyone that makes unattended disk can do that as simple as with a guirunonce cleanup.cmd file ... ??? right?

/me things the who complained where just 1 bit TO lazy - me feal:$

i wonder though why ever nLite should do this, (anyone that makes unattended disk can do that as simple as with a guirunonce cleanup.cmd file ... ??? right?

/me things the who complained where just 1 bit TO lazy - me feal:$

That's exactly how I feel about it. I can not believe people are creating uA disc and don't even have a decent cleanup.cmd. Same goes for a regtweaks.reg file.. now people can check the boxes in nLite for many tweaks... and after they use the CD they do not have a clue where errors etc come from, and it's hard to check out the regtweaks they checked..

so far, I like nLite 1.0 rc6 or 8 or dunnow if it was called beta the best.. after that other strange things where added... like this cursors error.. I have respect for Nuhi but it seems he listens more to the mass (unexperienced and asking-more-then-figure-things-out-and-learn people) users and sometimes forget his original idea/goal.

Man, I thought to resist not to answer to previous message but now I gotta.

Lets say you remove MSAgent...why then leave empty MSAgent folder?

Ofcourse you are right about that! And when I select to remove Cursors, it would not be very logic to leave the Cursors folder. But I don't understand why this action has to be after Windows Setup?

I always wondered what the flashing cmd windows were, when the desktop is loading at 1st gui boot... I'm not sure but I think it's about deleting and cleaning up, wich is great ofcourse, cleaning up. But it seems to be at a very late stage.

I am sorry I overreacted in my previous post. The whole search to the cause led to something soo simple.. :blushing:

Edited by ZileXa

It's ok.

Folders are recreated by a Windows file protection, but some of us disable it and then we can at least delete the folders after the setup because they are created during the setup.

Some, like those in program files, are never created if the component is removed.

I don't get it. If they're so advanced at this stuff (as hinted by their incredulity over not having cleanup cmds), then uhh why not just counter it with another scripted command list to copy the files next?

I don't get it. If they're so advanced at this stuff (as hinted by their incredulity over not having cleanup cmds), then uhh why not just counter it with another scripted command list to copy the files next?

uhm, that's exactly what I did, but the command for deleting is performed after setup.. so after copying files.

btw, it was more difficult to find the cause... solution is just to delete 1 line.

I understand now why Nuhi choose this late option.. ofcourse not everyone disables WFP.