Cant Boot RC1 in Virtual PC 2004

akudacompwiz

Well i had used NeroImageDrive to mount the image.

Btw though offtrack..

im facing another problem while booting virtual pc with appleDarwin 8.0.1 (x86) Its showwing me some cpu panic (not kernel panic).. but its going on all well when im trying to boot my comp with the burned cd... god knows y

when booting Virtual PC with a mounted copy of rc1, then it shows the initial boot up screen (the loading files progress bar) and then it dows nuthing.. just stays like dat

Increase the virtual machine memory to 512mb+ from the standard 128mb, or it won't install.

(ps. if your pc only has that amount of memory(512) you will get a error message, so try increasing the virtual machine memory a bit at a time until the error messages stop.)

Vista needs 1gb memory to run at all!

Edited by Major_Day

when booting Virtual PC with a mounted copy of rc1, then it shows the initial boot up screen (the loading files progress bar) and then it dows nuthing.. just stays like dat

Increase the virtual machine memory to 512mb+ from the standard 128mb, or it won't install.

(ps. if your pc only has that amount of memory(512) you will get a error message, so try increasing the virtual machine memory a bit at a time until the error messages stop.)

Vista needs 1gb memory to run at all!

wrong,

512 is sufficient, use 256 (300 in a VM to make up for ram lost to video) for your VM and it should boot. 1 gig is recommended for vista but 512 is alright, i run several laptops and desktop with 512 and with Aero turned off it is fine

Vista will run ok with 512mb,but it needs at least that amount to install.

The "host" machine in the pic below has 512mb, and if you increase the amount of memory allocated to the"virtual" machine to more than 256mb, then their is not enough memory left to run VM.

2006-09-14_064359.png

Edited by Major_Day

512 is absolutely NECCESSARY to install Vista. However, once it's been installed I hear it can run on ~320mb without a severe hit on performance.

If you're doing a VM install, you need to set the ram to at least 512 otherwise Vista will not permit itself to be installed.

Be aware that the current experience with Vista running inside VPC2004 is NOT good at all.

Why is that? Simply because you need the Vista enabled VM additions and they've not yet been released to the public. The next release of Virtual PC will contain those additions (and since VPC is now free...).

My two cents on the topic.